Boss DS-1 Keeley mod

grunge782

• Members

I've recently acquired a boss ds-1 I plan on modding. I have seen these kits on eBay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keeley-Ultra-Mod-Kit-Boss-DS-1-DS1-w-True-Bypass-/180570394406?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a0ad58f26

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keeley-Ultra-Seeing-Eye-Mod-Kit-Boss-DS-1-DS1-/180563464306?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a0a6bd072

I am wondering if these are any good? I was going to go that route or follow these instructions- http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-Your-Boss-DS-1/

and then buy my parts from Small bear.

Also which mod would you guys suggest, the ultra or seeing eye?

• Members

I had one modded with both the ultra and SEM, with a toggle switch. Both mods sound awesome, and really change how the pedal sounds. To me, the Ultra was better as it was fatter with more bass.

I bought it that way though, so can't really help you with any questions on the actual build

• Members

Honestly i thought my ultra sounded the pretty much the same as my stock ds1. In the end its still gonna sound like a ds1.

Mostly looking just to go through the process of modding a pedal. However, if I am going to go through the trouble of that, then I might as well figure out whats the best route to go. Just wondering, was yours a pedal actually modded by Keeley? Or was it some parts you got on your own? From lots of the clips and youtube demo's I've heard online it makes quite a difference to my ears.

• Members

I did the SEM on my DS-1. The output is greater, and it has more bass and a wider range of gain, but the shrill high end is still there if the tone is past noon. It was a fun experiment, but that pedal is on the chopping block right now to make way for more DIY adventures.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just as an update, I went ahead and got the DS-1 kit. Took a while to do, but its now wired up and working nicely. It definitely still has a lot of DS-1 characteristics, but I noticed a lot more clarity and a less "squarish" feel to it. I also found the Ultra mode to sound fatter than the SEM, but I like both.

I think it works best into an amp with a little gain all ready and if you set the pedal with moderate gain. It adds a lot of thickness to chords which is great. Worth the mod IMO.

• Members

Nice. I just sold my modded DS-1. Not playing the rock music anymore so I figured I'd pass it on to someone who would get better use out of it.

I initially thought about selling the pedal when I first started the mod. After investing too much time to actually get the damn thing put together cleanly there is NO way I'd sell this thing. The modding was a learning experience, but I learned that I only want to occasionally do small mods. I don't know how some people can stand leaning over these things for hours day after day. I'm also surprisingly happy with the pedals sound, especially through my JCA20. I wasn't expecting it to be a serious use pedal for me, but it might end up so.

And I doubt I'll ever stop playing rock music completely all together. :)

Archived