Worthwhile Pedals Under $80

• Members

This here is a thread to discuss pedals under $80 that aren't completely awful and in some cases, actually are excellent. I know that there are a number of people who cruise these forums looking for good advice on which cheap item to buy, because like me, they aren't tone freaks and don't want to spend a lot of money but still don't want to buy a hunk of junk.

So please, discuss cheapy pedals you've bought that have been totally pleasantly surprised by. I'm talking Behringer, Dano, Rogue, etc!

• Members

I don't think I've ever played through a danelectro pedal that sounded awful....

...... my only real problem with cheapo pedals is you can usually buy a second hand Boss for around the same money and I'd rather have a set up of old boss, than a bunch of new Behringers.

• Members

These are some of the cheapos that I own or have tried.

Old DOD - I {censored}ing love my unmodded FX-65

Dano Cool Cat - Vibe, TOD V1, Drive V1, Tremolo

Dano Fab - 600 ms Delay

Joyo - UD, Classic Chorus, Vintage OD

Boss - DS-1, SD-1, OD-3

Ibanez Tonelok - DE-7, PH-7

You won't see Rat's on my list. I owned a Rat2 and could not flip it fast enough.

• Members

Well if we're talking new: my Dano Daddy-O is killer. Kinda too big for my board ATM but still love it.

Used: any Boss delay really. Do what they are supposed to do and do it well I think. I'm definitely a fan. Good good stuff. I really think I just like the layout of Boss pedals tho. I like the big square footswitch but thats just me :idk:

• Members

This here is a thread to discuss pedals under $80 that aren't completely awful and in some cases, actually are excellent. I know that there are a number of people who cruise these forums looking for good advice on which cheap item to buy, because like me, they aren't tone freaks and don't want to spend a lot of money but still don't want to buy a hunk of junk.

So please, discuss cheapy pedals you've bought that have been totally pleasantly surprised by. I'm talking Behringer, Dano, Rogue, etc!

I think most pedals under $80 "aren't completely awful". If we're talking used prices, you can find all sorts of gems for under $80 if you browse the internet a bit.

Some of my favorites that can usually be picked up for under $80:

Digitech Digiverb (cool gated and reverse sounds, pretty decent hall and plate too)

Danelectro Danecho (it's not overpowering but it's got a nice trashy tape echo feel to it that just begs to be combined with fuzz)

Ibanez 60s fuzz (nice muff sound. best cheap fuzz i've used. there's something, i can't explain, that feels very 90s alt rock about it)

Ibanez PM7 Phase Modulator (the square wave phase is lots of fun for blips and bloops and tech-y sounds. the ring mod settings are useful. lots of sounds in there)

Cool Cat Drive v1 (huge range of gain; really feels amp-like in the way it responds when feeding it other distortions and fuzzes)

Zoom 606 (dirt cheap whammy functions and lots of other crazy sounds)

• Members

soooo many

Danelectro Fish'n Chips and French toast are both nice.

Ibanez de7 :love:

DOD fx90 is a good analog delay, the fx65 chorus is supposedly good as well

Boss hm2 and I've seen the ps-5 go for less than 80 pretty frequently

Digitech Bad Monkey, digidelay (never played this one, but heard good demos)

I've gotten a line6 Echo Park and Verbzilla for under 80 before

Devi Ever Sodameiser!

Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive is great and can be had for around 30 last I checked

• Members

Most of my boards fall into the under $80, particularly if you count used...

OD - Dano TOD V1, Boss OD3, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS5

Distortion - Dano cool cat drive V1, Proco Rat 2 and big box RI Rat

Fuzz - EHX bass BMP

Chorus - Dano cool cat chorus, Arion SCH-Z

Trem - Dano Tuna Melt

Vibe - Dano Chicken Salad

EQ - Dano Fish'n'chips

Delay - Digitech digidelay, EHX memory toy, Boss DD3

Verb - Marshall reflector

Crazy sounds - digitech Bass synth wah and EX-7

Steve

• Members

There are so many freakin pedals out there, I'd say the majority can be picked up under or right around $80 if you're willing ot buy used.

Yeah, 80 is right around the magic spot when you go used. I almost never pay more than that for a pedal. And there's plenty of other great {censored} already mentioned that you can get new for that much.

• Members

Anything from Noisemaker Effects:

Matt makes great fuzz and overdrive pedals, all under $80, some around $50. I own a Noisemaker Noise Invaders, it's a neat little fuzz.

Came in to mention the new Donner Party, very cool, very high gain fuzz.

Other than that:

Danelectro Chili Dog: the best octave down ive ever played because it sounds so organic

Behringer Vintage Time Machine: Fantastic delay and the preamp even works well as a boost.

• Members

I've paid little money for most of my Boss pedals (one of which was a new SD-1. They all sound great: MIJ BF-2, HM-2, MIJ DD-3.

And I've had some Behringers too: TO800 and DD400. They're both really good pedals. Bypass isn't so good, though.

• Members

Anything from Noisemaker Effects:

Matt makes great fuzz and overdrive pedals, all under $80, some around $50. I own a Noisemaker Noise Invaders, it's a neat little fuzz.

anyone have experience with the dead hipster from these guys? my problem with a lot of the overdrives i've had before are that they have a little too much gain, and it's hard to find a more subtle setting. from the video on the site, this sounds like a possible solution.

• Members

anyone have experience with the dead hipster from these guys? my problem with a lot of the overdrives i've had before are that they have a little too much gain, and it's hard to find a more subtle setting. from the video on the site, this sounds like a possible solution.

I bought a Dead Hipster. I really liked the description of it. It wasn't a bad sound, it was actually kind of nice, but I didn't feel like it had much range to it. It had almost no gain...it felt more like a clean boost or a buffer, like a Boss Enhancer, than an overdrive. It seems like it's more for if you're looking for something along the lines of your clean tone with a little extra punch or sparkle. But I prefer using devi's punch love circuit for stuff like that (the punch love also stacks better with other dirt pedals).

Archived