Overdrive conundrum!

pelliott

• Members

I've got me some birthday cash and was thinking of a nice OD/distortion pedal -- one that can go from classic/hard rock into thrash metal territory (can be standalone or when it's boosted) and possibly sludgy stuff (not a deal breaker, pretty much got my bases covered there). A nice, tight, thick sound. I like british style amps. Any recommendations?

Would like to keep it in the region of $150 but the right pedal will grab my attention and wallet

It CAN and probably will be boosted by an OCD (which is my almost always-on boost).

I'll be running it into an Ampeg VT-22.

So far making the short list:

SCOD

Mantra

Black Arts Black Forest

DLS Mk2 (if they ever show up used)

If anyone has experience with the above, or other recommendations, feel free to weigh in! Thanks.

• Members

I use the Elements (which I may have suggested already?) but it's a little over budget. The Black Forest will be out soon too, worth waiting on that before making a decision but I'm not sure how high gain it'll go. Thinking it will boost anything into submission though.

I hear the Suhr Riot packs the high gainz! Haven't tried one personally. Also lots of praise when it comes to the Wampler stuff, think it's $$$ though.

If you boost with the OCD, you can probably push a variety of distortion pedals to metal territory.

• Members

I tried the Power Stack and while I thought it was all right, the texture of the distortion was not for me.

I really like the idea of The Elements, but yeah, it's real pricey. Hadn't thought of the Riot! And I've been on the lookout for a cheapish used Plextortion. Overall, I'm not terribly worried about the amount of gain on tap because I can always boost it all to hell.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys

• Members

Although I like the White Light the Plimsoul knocked the White Light off my board.

i am sure there enough other ODs like the White Light or maybe better... just my 2 cents for the OP to check out and test. damn, my od/drive must try list is so long - but i never checked out fulltone - just the deja vibe and one of the older fulldrives - but i dont like fulltone :x

• Members

i am sure there enough other ODs like the White Light or maybe better... just my 2 cents for the OP to check out and test. damn, my od/drive must try list is so long - but i never checked out fulltone - just the deja vibe and one of the older fulldrives - but i dont like fulltone :x

Me too man. I'm no great judge but I have experience with the WL and the Plim.

• Members
MI Audio Crunch Box. Seriously, it can absolutely do everything you've asked for. It's ugly though.

Mantra is what the Crunch Box should've been (i.e., great MIAB without the fizz and with insane touch sensitivity). Depending on how much gain you (don't) want, you might wanna get the low-gain mod; it's $20 direct from Blackout, or $30 as a aftermarket mod. The low-gain mod at 18 v is more amp-like than your amp. :p -E

• Members

EarthQuaker Devices! White Light or Monarch - both are great and EQD prices are top...

I love EQD and I love the Monarch but I don't think it approaches thrash metal territory. It's heavy, sounds mean as {censored}, but the character is a looser, nastier distortion. Great boost and low gain stuff also but tight is not how I'd describe it, in my setup at least.

Have you checked out the Smallsound/Bigsound {censored} OD? Sounds great low or high gain and has the momentary {censored} switch for all out madness. May need a push for the metalz but it would pair well pre/post OCD...

• Members

I love EQD and I love the Monarch but I don't think it approaches thrash metal territory. It's heavy, sounds mean as {censored}, but the character is a looser, nastier distortion. Great boost and low gain stuff also but tight is not how I'd describe it, in my setup at least.

Have you checked out the Smallsound/Bigsound {censored} OD? Sounds great low or high gain and has the momentary {censored} switch for all out madness. May need a push for the metalz but it would pair well pre/post OCD...

I :love: my SS/BS {censored} OD! :love:

• Members

I'm borrowing a friends OCD right now, so I just tried OCD > Tim. Sounded pretty good! I always thought of the Tim more as a boost pedal and less of as a main drive pedal, but setting the Tim to a higher gain, and then using the OCD as a clean boost sounded very nice! Call PaulC up and see if he has any blemish Tim's or Timmy's available. I did that a few weeks ago. Saved me 6 months wait and I got it for $152 instead of the regular $169.

• Members

nope, but the SM/BS stuff is on my list to test... and yes your right, the monarch is not "tight" you describe it very well imo

EDIT: it was my fault because i am always think of the lower gain settings and overall soundcharachter in the case of OD pedals...

• Members

nope, but the SM/BS stuff is on my list to test... and yes your right, the monarch is not "tight" you describe it very well imo

EDIT: it was my fault because i am always think of the lower gain settings and overall soundcharachter in the case of OD pedals...

Sorry, I was directing that at the OP, should've clarified. Buy yeah, the {censored} is awesome, check it out someday. :thu:

Archived