A question about signal routing in an effects loop....

companyman

• Members

so I read that it is recommended to run my Vox Tonelab ST (set to line) from its output to the return of the effects loop on my Sunn Alpha. This takes the preamp and EQ on the Sunn out of the signal, taking it directly to the output section then the speaker. The sound of the amp models and effects are so much better sounding, but now the master volume on the amp does nothing. The sound still comes out of the amp, even when turned all the way down, volume is unaffected when it is cranked. Is this normal? The output from the Tonelab's master volume is MUCH louder setup like this, but not as loud as the amp by itself when cranked, at least I don't think, can't really crank it at home....just wondering if this is normal, or if there is something wrong with the pedal?

• Members

it kinda makes sense that the loop is after master volume, the way that it is behaving. So does this mean that the wattage of the amp is meaningless? Does the Tonelab dictate the max wattage? I hope that it can get to gig volumes, just can't test it at my apartment......

edit- turning the master doesn't affect the pedal level.

Archived