Thinking about changing my board up a bit. Thoughts?

OMTerria

• Members

It's been a good while since I've touched anything on my board and my trigger finger is getting a bit itchy (addiction, etc.) and I think a change of pace may be nice. Is this a good plan, or am I crazy? The 'boutiqueness' is stepped down a bit, but I think it gives a good bit more options

Current: Hardwire Overdrive -> Supercollider -> BBE Mind Bender -> Blackout Whetstone -> Boss DD-6 -> EH Memory Boy -> Strymon Brigadier -> EH Cathedral

Concept: Hardwire OD -> Supercollider -> BBE Mind Bender -> Boss TR-2 -> EH Small Stone (big box USA one) -> Boss PS-3 -> EH Memory Boy -> Boss DD-20 -> EH SMMwH -> Yamaha FX500 w/switch (for reverbs and Soft Focus)

• Members

I've found that buying too many new pedals at once can be a real pain in the ass. You have to really know a pedal before you can figure out how it interacts with another pedal, if you put two or three new ones on the board, you're left there trying to figure out too many perameters. If you are gigging live it can be a nightmare.

• Members

I've found that buying too many new pedals at once can be a real pain in the ass. You have to really
know
a pedal before you can figure out how it interacts with another pedal, if you put two or three new ones on the board, you're left there trying to figure out too many perameters. If you are gigging live it can be a nightmare.

I'm pretty well versed with a few of them, but I could see the that being the case with them all together. I don't have any gigs in the near future though, we're mostly just writing at the moment.

• Members

I know it's always a matter of taste and style, and when it comes to delay and dirt, I think almost all boss peds stand their ground against almost all hip booteek dirt/delay pedals in the same price range...

But I personally don't get what everyone sees in the TR-2, with all those excellent other tremelo pedals out there. I prefered the EHX Pulsar I tried over the TR-2, and for the money a EQD Hummingbird {censored}s all over the TR-2 impo.

I usually applaud the non-booteek approach, and the rest of your plan looks pretty solid...But that TR-2 is one pedal you could easily upgrade on without spending too much money impo.

• Members

I dunno, I'm kinda a trem n00b, so I'm exactly well versed in them. I do think the Hummingbird looks cool, but it doesn't seem like you can roll off some of the chop and get a smoother wave (that's kinda what it's going for right? maybe I just have it wrong). I've had the Duncan Shape Shifter, but the number of options were a bit overwhelming for a first timer :lol:

• Members

Honestly, I think I prefer your current board. I just think the SMMH and the DD-20 would be completely redundant. If it were me, I'd probably take your current board, add the PS-3, possibly replace the Cathedral with the FX500, and I've never tried a Whetstone, but I might replace it with a Small Stone, just to simplify things a bit. Plus, honestly, the Small Stone has always sounded like the perfectly voiced phaser to me. Sort of nice to have one pedal that doesn't really require any tweaking at all. Haha.

• Members

Honestly, I think I prefer your current board. I just think the SMMH and the DD-20 would be completely redundant. If it were me, I'd probably take your current board, add the PS-3, possibly replace the Cathedral with the FX500, and I've never tried a Whetstone, but I might replace it with a Small Stone, just to simplify things a bit. Plus, honestly, the Small Stone has always sounded like the perfectly voiced phaser to me. Sort of nice to have one pedal that doesn't really require any tweaking at all. Haha.

Fair enough :). I think the DD-20 sounds better for pretty much everything, but I just love the Multi-Tap stuff on the SMMw/H and don't really know anything else that will do that. There's also the possibility of using one as a looper when I'm using the other (since you can't do looping and delay at the same time on the DD-20, right?). I'm not sure how often that would happen in practice though.

The Small Stone seems like a good idea to me too. The Whetstone sounds absolutely fantastic, really only use one setting and vary the speed :facepalm:. Nothing wrong in getting a cheaper pedal that does pretty much the same sound that I use

Archived