OT: Ride/Lush/Jesus and the Mary Chain

OMTerria

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The way to approach Ride/Lush/JAMC really is to start at the beginning and to inch forward incrementally.

All three bands started out really really well (especially Ride) but all three kind of left the "shoegaze/noisey" thing eventually, taking on a more Britpop sound (JAMC a little less than Lush and Ride (especially Ride). Lush still managed to sound pretty good all the way until their untimely end, but even then they kind of had abandoned the wash of sound vibe that they had started with.

Cool that someone mentioned KOD - They were definitely up there with Lush. One of the best shows I ever saw was KOD in Cinci ('92). Spent most of the show with my eyes closed just digging the wash of it.

The first Ride e.ps. and Nowhere are still amazing (and Nowhere is out there on vinyl now). Lush is great no matter where you start, but Gala (compilation of the early e.ps) is just amazing. JAMC - Pyschocandy (obviously). I kind of lost them with the streamlined sound they adopted afterward. Again - Start at the beginning for each band - They were all at the height of their sound with their first releases.

KOD - Strange Free World is perfect. Death of Cool, Cowboys and Aliens, and their first one - good - but not perfect. Nothing beats "Polaroids" and "Drive that Fast" -

Cool thing that in 2011 people are still listening to and debating this stuff.

• Members

+1. Giant Steps is nothing to sneeze at, either, nor is the pre EIAF stuff. -E

Giant Steps kicks ass. All of the attention went to Blur and Oasis at the time, but Giant Steps should not overlooked. It was out of print in the US last I checked, though.

edit: looks like it was re-released. Last year, the following album "Wake UP!" was also re-released. That's a great Britpop type album.

• Members

Alright, I'm a few listens in on a few albums. So far, I'm definitely enjoying Nowhere the most. Psychocandy was pretty cool, but I some of the more aggressive songs were kinda meh. Gala was fun, but a lot of it seemed more jangle-pop than shoegaze. Not that that's a bad thing by any means, but not quite what I was expecting. Lush definitely has the most fitting name for a shoegaze band that I've heard. Should I do Going Blank Again next or move on to another band?

The continued popularity of this relatively obscure 20 year old music is amazing to me. Especially since I thought the majority of you guys are in your twenties. Rock on.

Yeah, 21 here. Badass music is still badass though :lol:

• Members

The continued popularity of this relatively obscure 20 year old music is amazing to me. Especially since I thought the majority of you guys are in your twenties. Rock on.

I completely agree. All of the stuff above really changed the whole way I listened/approached music and so much of it just faded away for maybe 15 years. To see people talking about Ride and Lush and KOD and all of that stuff is really cool. The whole original "shoegaze" thing (define it however you want) bloomed around '92 - went for a couple of years - and then just withered away. The bands doing that kind of thing now are (mostly) just shadows of what was happening 20 years ago. A thread that includes Kitchens of Distinction and Lush's Gala in 2011 is all win.

Keep it going. I know that there are still some true believers out there...

(As for Swervedriver - Their stuff ages really well - Especially Mezcal Head . Didn't really like them that much on the first go around, but I've really gotten back into them.)

Archived