OT: advice for a new apartment.

Thomas Rojo

• Members

So i just moved to hollyweird to go to MI. I'm psyched but they have no dorms so i had to get an apartment close by. I have a roommate who shreds and seems really cool so far. But it is only my second day here. It is my first time moving away from home and to a new city so whats the word on commonly overlooked new apartment living advice? :idea:

• Members

cant he just practice in his fancy new apt?

but ive never been to no high fallutin' guitar school or nuthin' so maybe these special rooms are really awesome or somthing thatll really get the practicin' to stick right.

A) The fancy apartment has the beer and the endless re-runs of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. THAT {censored}S DISTRACTING. Hence, the need for individual practice rooms: For focus.

B) there are countless opportunities to perform in a group setting there - it's kinda hard to rehearse a band in a central hollywood apartment.... unless you LIKE receiving eviction notices.....

which reminds me - SIGN UP FOR ALL OF THE PERFORMANCE CLASSES THAT YOU CAN CRAM INTO A DAY WHETHER YOU LIKE THE STYLE OF MUSIC OR NOT. TRUST ME. (especially the ones that have Jon "Ryggy" Rygiewicz on drums - that's my dog, y'all!)

C) the apartment is just a base, and is often a pit of lethargy - stay away from it and be at the MI campus as much as possible!

end of lecture.

• Members

I live north of hollywood blv and west of highland on franklin and whitley.

As for the appliance not working and such, the toilet is clogged and iv'e only used it twice??? WTF! so the land lady will hear about this right away.

And sign for the practice rooms early... got it, Thanks!

• Members

Make (and try and stick to) a reasonable budget.

Cooking your own food is {censored} loads cheaper (and better for you) than eating out all the time - I would save so much money by doing this instead of spending $5-$10 on fast food everyday like my roommates would do.

• Members

As for the appliance not working and such, the toilet is clogged and iv'e only used it twice??? WTF! so the land lady will hear about this right away.

For toilet clogs, a straight toilet brush jabbed repeatedly into the hole works far better than any plunger.

I always check out the water pressure in the shower.

Good luck dealing with cooperative landlady.

Is there a washer/dryer?

And get yourself a george foreman grill... you can cook almost any frozen food on it.

Maybe a rice cooker if thats your thing.

• Members

For toilet clogs, a straight toilet brush jabbed repeatedly into the hole works far better than any plunger.

I always check out the water pressure in the shower.

Good luck dealing with cooperative landlady.

Is there a washer/dryer?

And get yourself a george foreman grill... you can cook almost any frozen food on it.

Maybe a rice cooker if thats your thing.

The land lady was really nice about it an she had someone come right away, apparently it was a sponge stuck in the toilet so thats fixed but the guy scratched the {censored} out of the toilet so thats another thing il let the land lady know.

As for cooking, i have a crock pot, a few pans, and a kettle... This should be enough right?

• Members

do you have a car?

My parents think it's best if i take my car down in a few months so i can get better acquainted with the area. Many people have said i need a car but idk how serious they are, yet the ones that say i do are actually from the la area. As for the first week, yes i have a car.

• Members

Franklin and Whitley? not bad; good that you have a car, though, as the nearest grocery store worth going to is a good distance away - "Fresh and Easy" on Hollywood Blvd. about 1 block west of the Chinese theatre, or "'Rock and Roll' Ralphs" on Sunset west of La Brea; The "Gelson's" near where you are is overpriced bourgois tomfoolery, best left to those not on a student budget. And you absolutely do need a car, if only to get the hell out of dodge once in a while - the public transportation has improved in recent years, but it still sucks compared to other metro areas. +1 on the Foreman grill suggestion, and not eating out much. Maybe one of those small charcoal grills would be handy as well. If anything, you will improve your cooking skills!

• Members

Keep a spare roll of TP in your room hidden. You will need it, and you need to replace it. Do not let your roomate know you do this.

get a lock for your door, when you sleep, lock the door from the inside.

What kinda {censored}ing people have you lived with where you have to lock the door from the inside?

Archived