Guitar decision committee meeting BEGIN

Operator

• Members

I've been desiring a Gretsch Duo Jet (or Power Jet even) for a long time, but I'm not sure that I can really justify that kind of purchase, even if I spend a very long time saving up for it. I don't know, spending money on anything other than bills makes me feel like an asshole for some reason.

But I do need a new guitar, and I've been thinking of budget ways to achieve similar effect. Here's what I have in mind right now, and I'd like to seek your advice because you all know lots of guitar junk that I probably don't:

1. Get a Pro Jet

I played one in a shop, and they're pretty damn good. Granted, I'd have the not-quite as awesome Bigbsy and those wonky mini-humbuckers, but I've seen people put in regular P-90s in them. I love P-90s so maybe that would be awesome?

2. Get one of the new Pro Jets

Gretsch is releasing updated Pro Jets that actually have Filtertrons and a master volume control on the upper horn, which is pretty sweet. I'd probably switch out the Filtertrons anyway to more traditional looking ones. Because I'm superficial?

3. Save up for an actual Duo Jet

Like a boss.

Do any of these things sound good?

I really like some of the added features of the new (updated) Pro Jets, but I have one very big concern:

The bodies are now walnut stained basswood instead of walnut stained mahogany. :freak:

If they had kept the same woods from the previous Pro Jet (mahogany body / neck, maple cap), I'd say hit the new one... but with a basswood body? I would definitely recommend trying before you buy.

FWIW, I don't think the pups in the original Pro Jets are that bad at all...

• Members

Ew, basswood? Seriously? :freak:

I hear mixed things about the original Pro Jet pickups. In the store they sounded okay, though, but some people seem unimpressed with them. It's hard to tell sometimes when people are being really nitpicky or not. Most stock pickups in most guitars sound fine to me, as long as they're not crazy high output humbuckers.

• Members

I had one for years and beat the {censored} out of it, cracked headstock, major chunks out of the body. it always stayed in tune.....I never really loved the mini hums though. the neck p/up was too "blunt" sounding, and the bridge too thin.

I have filtertrons in a guitar now and i'd imagine the toughness and stability of the pro jet combined with the clarity of the filtertrons would be quite nice.

also it was the heaviest guitar ive ever encountered, is basswood lighter?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

How long have you been playing guitar?

If its been more then 2-3 years I'd say treat yourself with a decent guitar and go the duo jet route. You deserve it. The fender era ones can be had for under $1000 if you're patient.

Since 1998. :o

I guess my reservation is that I've never spent that kind of money on any piece of equipment before, and I don't have a ton of disposable income, so I find myself searching for sub $1,000 guitars that could suit me. I don't keep up on what's available so I'm not sure.

• Members
:idk: penguin, country gental man, that green one is boss. I'm a fan of the hollow body gretsch. but but the jet is a handsome guitar just the same. neck is too thick poor me, you like the feel? you like the sound? buy it. thats my advise, buy buy buy. how long will it take to buy the really cool one you want? wait. Buy the one you really really really want to save of that "grass is greener" complex

• Members

Since 1998.
:o

I guess my reservation is that I've never spent that kind of money on any piece of equipment before, and I don't have a ton of disposable income, so I find myself searching for sub $1,000 guitars that could suit me. I don't keep up on what's available so I'm not sure.

The duo jet I had sold for $900.. I bought it for $800.. scan guitar center religiously. Take your time and save up the money.. you've been playing way too long for not to have a good guitar.

Archived