Which one would you choose: JX-8P or Juno-60

Teoman

• Members

There is something about DCO synths although people usually talk about VCO ones. I am also very happy with what I hear from my PolyEvolver rack being basically a DCO synth.

I tend to agree there. I like the digital stability which I prefer for poly duties, and I think the DCOs in my JX10 and 12-bit PCM waves in my hybrid DSS-1 sound every bit as solid as VCOs (when filtered) except for the lack of pitch drifting.

For monosynths, though, I do prefer the organic nature of VCOs because of the random phasing/cancellation between the oscillators that you can't get with DCO (possibly with exception of DSI's "Oscillator Slop" param). And on a mono, drifting VCOs aren't as much of a problem to deal with as you have far less of them that need to be calibrated.

• Members

For me:

JX-8P vs MKS-70 = JX-8P wins. :thu:

JX-8P vs Juno 106 = JX-8P wins. :thu:

HOWEVER, when my 106 was broken and the JX-8P arrived, I thought I didn't need the 106 anymore. Then when I got the 106 fixed and started playing it, my reaction was "WOW! I missed this thing!!" :eek:

I can't live without the 106. Never played a 60, so I'm looking forward to that someday.

JX-8P to me is like the band Naked Eyes.

Juno 106 to me is like the band Big Audio Dynamite.

So if you want to wear a skinny tie on a cloudy day and sing a melancholy song about how slowly time goes by since she left, you NEED the 8P.

If you have dreadlocks and like to go to London orbital raves, you NEED a 106.

• Members

So if you want to wear a skinny tie on a cloudy day and sing a melancholy song about how slowly time goes by since she left, you NEED the 8P.

If you have dreadlocks and like to go to London orbital raves, you NEED a 106.

Nice description :thu::lol:

• Members

I've got both and my particular 8P and MKS-70 sound different. The 8P is fuller and more intense. The MKS-70 is brighter, colder, and less dynamic. I know because I tried patches directly copied from the 8P onto an M-16C and loaded into the MKS-70. I wanted to save space and get rid of the 8P, then I realized they are two totally different animals.

Some say there are different versions of the 8P. I call for an investigation!

• Members

Indeed. I've owned four of that so far and they all sounded different from one another.

I had one and it was incredible sounding. Don't know what "rev" it was, except that it was a later unit, made in '86 IIRC, without the patch names on the buttons.

When I had it open the opamps said "Sharp" on them, but that may or may not be an indication of what "version" JX-8P it was or how it compared soundwise to others.

• Members

I have the impression that the main difference initiates at the final amplification stage rather than the oscillators. I know that the sound of Juno 106 for example if very much affected by the quality and performance of the Chorus/amplification circuit.... While two of my JX8P had Sharp opamps, they still sounded different (one was very clean sounding while the other dirtier)

• Members

Sweet picture!

Flat Earth: Can you recall if this was a "Patch Name on Buttons" version or not?

Will submit a picture of the inside of my JX-8P this weekend.
:)

Yes, i think it did have patch names on it. I posted a photo ages ago, but cant find it.

Bit of a sad story on that JX8P. I sold it, and sent it well packaged via courier up north. Got smashed to bits according to buyer. I offered a refund, but never heard from him again. Weird.

I dont understand this thing about MKS-70 sounding thinner and brighter. Mine sounds exactly how i remember the JX, only twice so :lol:

• Members

I bought an MKS-70 after the 8P, thinking it was time to make room for something else while doubling my 8Pness.....

Well lo and behold, the MKS-70 does these wonderful analog pads that the 8P hinted at. Great. But that's not why I wanted an MKS-70. I wanted the percussive, full, hollow JX-8P sounds. So I copied the sounds over from my disconnected no-longer-part-of-the-sudio JX-8P. Besides the fact that the MKS-70 is a total pain to use as a single JX-8P, I noticed something in terms of both gain and tone wasn't the same. I found I had to turn the bass trims on my mixer up a hair. I also found that there was less punch, and what seemed to be more crispness. But overall it's something more complex. It's kind of like the difference between subtle compression and a dry signal, only it seemed to be different depending on the frequency range....

Simplify all this into 1 good case: The "Toms", as from the factory, printed on the membrane buttons on many JX-8Ps. Try them in my 8P and my MKS-70 and they simply don't sound the same, period. One makes a great kick drum (8P), the other sounds like a Hit-Stix (MKS-70).

Come to think of it, it could really boil down to just a difference in the Chorus units....

• Members

Side by side comparison is what lead to me discover the difference between them.

Soundtrack is another example. The Soundtrack pad from the JX-8P sounds rougher.....You can hear more raw FMness in there....Copied into the MKS-70 it sounds smoother and silkier.

Again this could be a difference in the chorus unit, or like you said, it could be some difference in revision. My MKS-70 is a high serial number unit with the latest version of the OS on its EEPROMs. So I've got an older JX-8P and a younger MKS-70. Surely there is enough time in between the two manufacture dates for there to have been changes in the sound due to a collection of minor electronic differences.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Maybe this is the thread to ask this...

How would any of you in the position to know, subjectively characterize the DCO differences between the JUNO 60 and the 106(given that they use different chips)?

Would the same patches sound nigh on identical(except for subtle differences in the characteristic tone of their respective instrument - punch, warmth, etc.)?

Thanks.

Archived