This NOOB needs some advice about how to not die from electrocution....

• Members

Cold water pipe has always worked for me as a ghetto earth ground. Please explain why you wouldn't recommend it.

Because it's ghetto.

Water piping systems aren't all galvanized or copper lines any more. They can have pex (plastic) or CPVC (also plastic) pipes breaking the continuity. Any even if youre water pipe is solid metal all the way back to the meter it may not always be (ie. repair). Then you are leaving a possible dangerous situation for the next guy.

What about a water softener? are you tying on after it? That's a no no. Is there a jumper across the pipes?

Please brosephs. Just because a meter or tester shows something to be grounded does NOT mean it's correct.

It's all about the path to earth and what possibilities there are for failure if not done properly.

If you are going to ground to a water pipe do it BEFORE the meter.

• Members

If it was wired to code when the house was built, I don't think the owner is legally obligated to update it to today's specs. Any NEW constuction should be wired to code though (ie, an addition was recently built).

I've heard of this before, but I don't think it applies to buildings that are being rented. At least normally it didn't from what I understood. Like Phil said it probably varies state to state and blah blah. It wouldn't be hard to find out. Just don't ask me were to look, I wouldn't know off hand ha.

• Members

I've heard of this before, but I don't think it applies to buildings that are being rented. At least normally it didn't from what I understood. Like Phil said it probably varies state to state and blah blah. It wouldn't be hard to find out. Just don't ask me were to look, I wouldn't know off hand ha.

Call the city. Speak with someone in Building and Zoning. Generally there is a rental inspector on staff.

My bet is that there is no city code requiring the update of these circuits.

• Members

i would advise not to touch anything wired to the house while connected to something else wired to the house. you will become a ground loop.

Including plumbing, or any large metal installed into the house such as railings and support poles in basements. Largely, bad "ground" is more dangerous than no ground.

Whenever possible, it is best to plug everything into a single power strip, so you don't rely on anything else to keep your grounds tied together to each other.

If there is a proper outlet in the kitchen and bathroom, plug into one of those?

• Members

I have a co-worker that lost a nephew a month ago. Kid went to open the fridge, which wasn't grounded (Turkish electricians suck), and it was all over for the guy. I'm freaked out about my apartment right now.

Pretty sure my fridge is only two prong :eek:

• Members

One point not mentioned.... Even if you keep everything on one outlet, without a proper 3 prong ground you need to make sure you aren't a ground. If you are standing on a tile or concrete floor in your bare feet you will be enough ground to allow a severe shock. If you are insulated from ground you can touch a 120V hot line without getting a shock.

So wear shoes and if you have a metal mic stand put it on something like a piece of carpet. If everything is somewhat insulated from ground then you might just get warning tingles in the event of a short instead of a shock.

Archived