Fuzzhugger Algal bloom thoughts..

tattoedsailor

• Members

Sounds mean as fuck and fairly unique, similar to a super fuzzy distortion. Not as bassy as a "muff" but a nice amount of low end to work with. Plenty of gain on tap and good clarity throughout gain range results in the AB cutting through the mix with ease.

The starve toggle/knob can bring out some weird, synthy gated textures too in extreme settings. Like conky mentioned, it stacks very well, particularly with bass heavy fuzz like a Pharaoh, as they combine frequency ranges for some HUGE and heavy tonez!

I actually prefer the AB Synth 5K as you can get most standard AB tones along with the oscillation option, top notch! :thu:

• Members

great pedal - Demos did it for me and it is on my list... but more as a collectors item

Tom totally killed the resale on my vintage AB when he did those reissues...damn that fuzzhugger :cry:

It's pretty flexible...I mean there is a base "tone" but it is capable of both low gain/od-like tones and a heavy saturated fuzz/distortion.

Plenty of definition/clarity for a fuzz.

• Members

I actually owned the prototype for about 6 months :)

Although it does cutting leads nicely, it actually cleans up really, really nicely.

My favorite settings were actually more in the distorted range rather than fuzz. It can do this great kind of grinding dirty tone where you've still got individual note clarity but it sounds aggressive.

• Members

favourite pharaoh setting, GO!

Top left knob = 11 o clock, top right = 1 o clock, fuzz = 2 o clock, volume = 3 o clock. switches.... i cant remember, diodes were in, not sure about the other. It hasn't been on my board in a while. It's on my bass board. I really need to try it with my Black Forest.

• Members

i bought the reissue. great pedal. it can give you that muff sound if you want it, and the starve control is sexy. it can get bassy but it really does cut through, like some have said. it could have a little more gain on tap, but {censored} it. it still works well. it kicks ass on bass too.

if you want severity, buy a phantom arcade. another hot-damn pedal.

Archived