Pedal pet peeves -- "This pedal is too digital!"

sommy

• Members

I think people are just too use to hearing crappy audio. They perceive staticy, hum-ridden analog tones of yore as "hip" and "awesome", when in fact the instrument doesn't like that at all. Digital effects preserve the true tone of sound.
:D

But the interaction of different things is what makes it interesting!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, if you told me something sounded loud I would have some idea what you meant. But if you told me something sounded digital I'd have much less of an idea. Do you mean grainy? Harsh? completely transparent? "cold"? lacking in character? I'd say by definition digital can't have a sound. It's just a binary representation of a wave. It's what you choose to do with that binary code that gives a digital pedal its sound, and also the analogue components the signal has to go through to get to and from the digital sampling.

We're getting into semantics now. How do you define grainy when sound has no physical texture? how can a sound be cold, it has no temperature?

But I know exactly what you mean. You're using a metaphor to describe one thing in terms of another, just as someone who describes a sound as 'digital' is doing.

• Members

{censored} you haters. the pog can be icy sounding.

and {censored} can sound digital, like a really crappy digital reverb, or the cathedral at some settings.

Of course those pedals can sound digital. They ARE digital. I'm talking about people just using "digital" as a catch-all for "sounds bad but wish I had a word that makes it sound like I sort of know what I'm talking about."

• Members

Because digital doesn't have a sound. And neither does analogue. It's like saying a pedal sounds "metal" or "plastic".

Not exactly. Digital artifacts caused by poor A/D conversion (or D/A conversion) are pretty distinct.

• Members

This isn't a pet peeve at all but sometimes people ask bizarre/hilarious questions when I am hanging around the guitar shop down the street and mention that I make an design X pedals on the shelf.

My favorite conversation:

Wide Eyed Dude: Do you work here?

Me: No, I just make pedals they sell here.

Dude: WOW! Which ones?!

Me: (Pointing to pedals I made) These here that say SHOE on them.

Dude: Woahhhhhh. So, like...you like totally make these or do you buy them?

Me: Well, I buy the boxes pre-drilled and painted a basic color, but otherwise, yeah.

Dude: Oh (momentarily disappointed) so, like...you just put your name on it. That's still cool.

Me: No, no. I design and build everything inside by hand. It's just literally the metal box I get painted and drilled.

Dude: WOOOOAAAAAHHH! (really excited again) So, like...THERE'S INFORMATION INSIDE!!!???

Me: Information? (Now treating this as a philosophical question) Well...in a way. They're not digital pedals if that's what you mean.

Dude: Oh so, there's, like, SOUND in there.

Me: Sure.

Dude, that rules.

• Members

Describing pedals as "musical." "It's a really musical pedal." Does that mean it's not a constantly self-oscillating, uncontrollable pedal?

"Amplike" is another one that irks me.

Word, musical is a bad one. Musical, its a {censored}ing add on to your musical instrument. its {censored}ing musical. hitting a metal tube with a drum stick can be musical.

• Members

Describing pedals as "musical." "It's a really musical pedal." Does that mean it's not a constantly self-oscillating, uncontrollable pedal?

"Amplike" is another one that irks me.

"Musical" is pretty bad because it's so relative. I think "amplike" is okay.

Archived