The tone on Jane Doe by Converge.

Loobs

• Members

This is one of the most killer tones on a heavy album I've ever heard. It's so raw and in your face, and very open sounding. Flies in the face of most 'heavy' guitar sounds, IMO. The riffing is killer too. What amps? Sounds like maybe a JCM800 or something? Could almost be a boosted 800 with a Tele or something.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Reaching the tone on Jane Doe can be approached in real life but not equaled. AFAIK he did use the Ric with an EMG 81 (i do not believe he had the first act custom yet) for most of it, all though his amp + pedal setup was different for each guitar track (there's one track with a metal zone into a jcm800, and another thats a bad cat cranked to ten IIRC). The reason you can't really get the jane doe sound IRL is because that album has digital clipping EVERYWHERE, from the snare and kick drum to the guitars and vocals. From a technical recording stand point it was done completely wrong, BUT he did something very few recording artists do. He trusted his ears not his eyes.

• Members

Also, his live tone is tits btw. Used two Orange heads last time they came to Europe (OR50 and a Rockerverb-something) with 2 Emperor 6x12's and it sounded amazing.

Orange heads + Emperor 6x12's = :love: Seems me and him have similar tastes. :rawk:

• Members

Jane doe was a combo of a JMP plexi, Ampeg v4, Guild Thunderbird Head, and I Believe arron played his ampeg ss140.

The root of the tone was Kurt's Providence stampede distortion. I payed 200 for mine in 2005 and that was used. God knows how much they go for now, and I know there weren't many.

I saw Jane doe performed twice. It's better on record haha.

The live show has kinda died over the years and went Kurt ditched his Marshall's for badcats, they never had that loud oomph anymore.

• Members

one of my favourite bands but their live shows are a mess.. sometimes it took me a minute to know what song they were playing...

I think thats hardcore in general. I've been going to and playing hardcore shows since I was 14, and in my experience the best bands are the least refined. Converge is chaotic and awesome live in contrast to a band like Hatebreed who are controlled and sterile. Every time I've seen Converge they always brought it, regardless of the quality of the PA or whatever.

• Members

Try as I might, I just can't get into this record. Most of my friends were stoked about it when it came out and I didn't like it at all. I picked up the reissue vinyl of it not too long ago and I still don't get it.

The stuff that came after was good, though. I really liked You Fail Me.

• Members

Try as I might, I just can't get into this record. Most of my friends were stoked about it when it came out and I didn't like it at all. I picked up the reissue vinyl of it not too long ago and I still don't get it.

The stuff that came after was good, though. I really liked You Fail Me.

I feel this way about Axe to Fall. The only song I like is the one with Steve Von Till's vocals on it.

Archived