If I like the J Mascis, will I love the Classic Player?

OMTerria

• Members

J Mascis is the man and probably one of my biggest inspirations. The Squier J Mascis is an amazing guitar. Pick-ups are surprisingly really nice but what really makes it is the neck. Such a smooth and comfortable neck. It's one of those things that just makes you want to pick up and play it.

• Members

J Mascis is the man and probably one of my biggest inspirations. The Squier J Mascis is an amazing guitar. Pick-ups are surprisingly really nice but what really makes it is the neck. Such a smooth and comfortable neck. It's one of those things that just makes you want to pick up and play it.

Yeah, it was very inspiring to play. I was messing around with it for over an hour at the store

• Members

{censored}! They got one in the Atlanta GC? I actually went there a couple of times when I was in Atlanta for 2 weeks last summer!

Nah, they have one at the Sam Ash near the Marietta location. I've heard GC employees say they will, won't, or might so I don't really know what they're up to

I'm trying to maintain a 1 in 1 out guitar policy, but this J Mascis isn't making it easy. If they release it in purple flake like his Fender sig I'll break down and get it.

I've asked, and that was apparently a rumor. There are currently no plans to release it in any other colors. Sorry.

Drats!

Yeah, I know a few guys who said they wanted to see a purple one, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. Still, the stock finish is very cool, and very vintage looking - some of the earliest Jazzmasters had the same basic cosmetics.

If you wanted to do a pickguard swap, it probably wouldn't be too hard. It looks like it might be a direct swap, but I've never set one guard on top of the other to confirm or refute that. Send them a tracing of the existing guard and you can get one custom made from a few places. Plus, if you really wanted to go all out, you could buy a pre-painted replacement body, or just work with the stock one and refinish it - it's already white - just roughen it up with a little 400 grit paper, hit it with a BIN shellac primer coat and then a few color coats of the lacquer of your choice... then a few clear coats, let it dry a couple of weeks and wet sand it out from 600 all the way to 1500 grit. Polish it and you've got a Jazzmaster in whatever color you wanted. :)

Squier really did get it right with the J Mascis. I thought it was going to be a popular guitar (and I said so in my review - one of, if not the first one published on the model :o ) - I'm glad to see I was right and that so many of you are digging it. :cool:

• Members

Nah, they have one at the Sam Ash near the Marietta location. I've heard GC employees say they will, won't, or might so I don't really know what they're up to

Really? The Sam Ash website lists it as "coming soon". When I was down there I found my way into that store, too, and liked it. Almost bought a used Yam bass there, an RBX774, and was sorry I passed on it. Nice helpful staff.

I'm surprised there's so much interest in the purple color. It seemed last year most of the used non-vintage Jazzmaster on eBay were J.Mascis purple ones, and not many of the other new models, as if people were trying to get rid of them.

Archived