M9/Compressor Guys

p0lymath

• Members

Just curious, one of my favorite settings on my M9 is the Tube Comp, mostly as a bit of boost/clean signal enhancer with like 35% threshold so it barely has a compressor sound to it, does anyone know of a standalone pedal that has a sound as close to the Tube Comp as possible?

• Members

yea the tube comp is good. i also like the dyna comp model a lot too.

i'd think the ehx black finger should get you close :idk:

the tube comp model itself is modeled after the Teletronix LA-2A compressor. it costs like 3 grand if you really need that sound :lol:

la2a_front_sq.jpg

• Members

Just curious, one of my favorite settings on my M9 is the Tube Comp, mostly as a bit of boost/clean signal enhancer with like 35% threshold so it barely has a compressor sound to it, does anyone know of a standalone pedal that has a sound as close to the Tube Comp as possible?

Can't help you with comp suggestions but thanks for bringing this to my attention. I haven't noodled much with the comp on the M9 because I have a Barber Tone Press on my board that I'm very happy with. But it might be cool to have a boost on the other end of the chain, I'm gonna check it out.

• Members

Checking out the black finger, bass compressor, and the tone press out of curiosity. We'll see if any of the vids sound close to my ears, orourke if you'd let me know how the tone press and tube comp compare in person I'd definitely appreciate . :wave:

• Members

Checking out the black finger, bass compressor, and the tone press out of curiosity. We'll see if any of the vids sound close to my ears, orourke if you'd let me know how the tone press and tube comp compare in person I'd definitely appreciate .
:wave:

Haven't had a chance to A/B 'em but the Tone Press, like most Barber stomps is pretty transparent. I can get plenty of sustain and feedback at low volumes, not much squish or pumping. I'll try to compare it with the M9 tomorrow.

• Members

Haven't had a chance to A/B 'em but the Tone Press, like most Barber stomps is pretty transparent. I can get plenty of sustain and feedback at low volumes, not much squish or pumping. I'll try to compare it with the M9 tomorrow.

quoting just so i can see results tomorrow

• Members

Sorry no clips recorded but this what I have: The M9 Tube Comp has considerably more boost than the Barber Tone Press, it's also a bit brighter sounding. The Barber gives much more compression - more sustain and squish but along with that comes some muddieness (some of that can be cleaned up with the blend knob but then you loose some of the effect). If you are looking for a boost with a bit of comp the M9 is be pretty good. But if you are looking for long sustained notes, chicken pickin' or feedback at lower volumes the Barber is a good box, it's not so hot in the boost department though.

• Members

It's not the same, but I went out and bought the MXR Custom Comp today. It's really pretty nice, and eliminates everything I hated about other DynaComp based compressors - high end rolloff and ultrasquishyness.

Orourke - about the boost abilities of the M9 TubeComp. Mine seems stupidly loud - unity gain seems to be around 10-20% depending on setting. Is that the same for you? Maybe I don't have the latest firmware.

• Members

Orourke - about the boost abilities of the M9 TubeComp. Mine seems stupidly loud - unity gain seems to be around 10-20% depending on setting. Is that the same for you? Maybe I don't have the latest firmware.

Yes, unity around 10-20% sounds about right, maybe I should have mentioned that. I find that on a few of the M9 patches. The Tron Up (kind of an auto-wah) gives a big boost that I can't even turn down - though I'm still able to us it at gigs, it's more noticealbe at lower volumes.

Archived