some website is selling my old band's music

misterstomach

• Members

in a recent egotistical journey through the internet, where i was looking up {censored} about my old band and seeing what was out there, i found a couple of websites advertising themselves as "cheap, legal mp3 downloads". they're probably related websites since they all use the same terminology. but anyway, they were selling mp3's of my old band. they were indeed cheap, but what the {censored}? we're not getting any money and no one ever asked permission to sell it. it was just a demo that we recorded cheap and sold some cdr's on tour. it was never put out by a label or anything, so it's not copyrighted or anything. but in the years since we broke up, the band has gained popularity in a small sector of the metal scene and some people seem to care about it now. a label actually wants to put it out.

i'm just baffled as to how these are "legal downloads". and what happens when it is officially released later this year? i don't care about people downloading it for free. that's fine, but it pisses me off that someone is selling it without our permission or giving us any of the money. not that they've necessarily sold many, or any for that matter, but it's the principle of the thing.

• Members

Have you actually tried downloading them yet? I know it sounds stupid to pay for your own music but a lot of times sites will claim to have this or that(that exact movie you're looking for, that unreleased demo from a band in Portland) and in actuality don't have them at all. They'll have the names there to lure in "customers" but really only have a small selection of junk. :idk:

• Members
Have you actually tried downloading them yet? I know it sounds stupid to pay for your own music but a lot of times sites will claim to have this or that(that exact movie you're looking for, that unreleased demo from a band in Portland) and in actuality don't have them at all. They'll have the names there to lure in "customers" but really only have a small selection of junk.
:idk:

That's a good idea. I don't really want to go through with signing up, but i should try it. They had all the song names and {censored} and it's all over the internet, so it wouldn't be hard for them to actually have it.

• Members

Not really. Metallica had a hissy fit over free downloads. I'm fine with people downloading it free. I just don't want someone selling it without any permission at all.

Agreed, two very different things. Other than a C&D I don't think there's much you can do?

Archived