Pedal resale value and age

OMTerria

• Members

Would you buy a pedal that costs $150 new for $140 used because it was pretty much new and had hardly been used? What if there were multiple used ones available that cost less, say $110 in this case, and are in fantastic condition but just aren't as new? I understand a high resale price to new price ratio for less common, more desirable pedals, but it doesn't really make sense to me when the pedal in question can be found at most Guitar Centers. It seems like if it was that new, you'd just return it, no?

What do y'all think about this? I've been watching the TGP pedal spam pretty closely lately and its something that's irked me.

• Members

When I worked at a music store we had A and B items . A items cost us 50% of retail. B items were 75% of retail. So the minute you purchase a new pedal it may be worth as little as HALF of your cost. So why would the store pay you anywhere near retail on a pedal??

• Members

When I worked at a music store we had A and B items . A items cost us 50% of retail. B items were 75% of retail. So the minute you purchase a new pedal it may be worth as little as HALF of your cost. So why would the store pay you anywhere near retail on a pedal??

Well, a store wouldn't because they're trying to make a profit off the pedal. I'm more referring to individuals selling stuff online, on eBay, or on Craigslist.

• Members

When I buy used gear I won't pay anymore than 70% of what it costs new, even if it's in mint condition. With the sales that the online places put out it doesn't make sense to me to pay anywhere close to what retail costs are on used gear.

yup

• Members

no way.

if it is something you can get new, when i'm looking for stuff to buy i'm looking to pay 40-60%, maybe 70%, JUST MAYBE, of the store price. depending on what it is and how much i want it, i'll pay more or less.

This is pretty much where I'm at with this. I'd be happy to pay up to about 70-75% of the new price for most things depending on what they are and how much I want them, but I don't get paying upwards of 95%.

• Members

Could be worse - some dude is selling a mint condition ES-339 on the local craigslist for . . . wait for it . . . $500 MORE than retail! No clue why - he did upgrade the bridge to a "Tune-o-Matic installed by professionals at Guitar Center" - even if was installed by Henry himself, I'm not sure how that gets you an extra $500 for a used guitar. And then there's the dude trying to sell his Pitchfactor with no power supply and a big ding on the side (how on earth you manage that on those tanks is beyond me) for $425. Craig's has been getting really bad lately - people listing stuff for absurd prices. Must be the economy.

To answer your question, I would not pay 95% of the new retail price for anything - 5% is not worth the risk that the seller did something really moronic to the item and then decided to sell it.

• Members

I could use the wrong pedal supply on a brand spanking new pedal and F that thing up before you can say fried diode. A pedal should not go for even close to retail in that case or in any case, once its driven off the lot. Hence "used" prices being more attractive to the buyer, but with some risk involved.

• Members

I can't really vouche for TGP. I mean, if they think they can sell it for that, they're sure as hell gonna try.

but amazingly enough, most pedals I've sold locally I've got damn {censored}ing close to full retail. Some dudes are willing to pay for mint {censored} just to save some taxes or whatever. I sold my M5, Pharoah and Malekko 616 and many other pedals for what I bought them for brand new.

• Members

We need a HCFX statistician on retainer to give us the necessary quantitative data to make sound pedal buying decisions.

Well, there's no right decision of course. What you buy is up to you, I just don't really understand why the buyer wouldn't just buy it new or why the seller wouldn't just return it.

• Members

A pedal is something that doesn't really suffer from wear and tear, at least when put straight on a pedalboard in a bedroom or studio, so people seem to think it depreciates in value less than say a car or kitchen applicance where the evidence of use is more apparent. If they can get 90% of the new price then power to them. Other people have the view that anything "used" is immediately 50% off, regardless of the actual wear to the item. For me, it's about how much I want it. I might pay close to the new price for a used item locally than pay to have one shipped from overseas (we don't get the benefit of 90 day returns) and have to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive.

The only thing that irks me is when a buyer makes a comparison with a new item versus an upgraded item. Eg, when I sold my Blues Jr having upgraded the speaker and upgraded the tubes it was annoying when someone lowballed me because the asking price was too close to a brand new amp without those upgrades.

• Members

TGP is hilarious.
There's an Emporium full of unsold Timmies at $175 . . . I think I'll list mine for $190.

I wouldn't say this is the typical behavior there though. There are a number of great deals to be had, it just requires some vigilance

• Members

10 bucks shipping as well... when you buy online there shipping and paypal fees involved. So you pay a bit more then buying the same local, it has more to do with availability you can save 20-30 bucks buying online instead of buying new from a store.

• Members

I've been watching the TGP pedal spam pretty closely lately and its something that's irked me.

This bugs the {censored} out of me about TGP, theres rarely any decent deals over there, and everything is like retail before taxes price wise.

however {censored} sells over there right some quick.

Archived