School me on Tone Benders

OMTerria

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 1, 2, and 3 sounded pretty cool. The in between ones I didn't care for too much. I'm guessing pedals like the Tone Reaper and Soul Bender are MK3 versions then? Who makes a good 1 or 2 for about that price?

• Members

There's only one "in between" model, along with a bunch of rare prototypes/oddities. The MK1.5 is very similar to a Fuzz Face, smaller input cap and slightly different biasing on Q1 IIRC. Then there's the 1, 2, 3 and 4. 4 is just an evolution of the 3 that's smoother. The Tone Reaper is a hybrid MKIII, Soul Bender is a Ge MKIII. Nobody makes a good 1 for that price, AFAIK. Dunno about 2s. I've got boards for both but I'm kinda busy ATM. If you want to have a go at building on yourself, I can send you some boards and transistors for the MKII, just the board for the MKI.

• Members

The Tonebender is my favorite fuzz circuit that I've tried. I've got an early BYOC Tonebender eyelet board kit, which I believe is a MKII, but I could very well be wrong. I added an external bias pot and changed a few resistors to get some more output...which it didn't really need, but it's a loud little bastard now. Depending on the pickups and bias setting, it goes anywhere from early Zep and Sabbath tones to Magic Potion era Black Keys (:love:) and gets into spitty, velcro-y fuzz at the more extreme settings. Sounds wonderful into a 5E3.

• Members

My beef is that MKII's don't seem to have nearly enough output. Kind of wimpy--I want my fuzzes to have some boost not just sustain.

When I made mine I followed a DIY websites suggestion (http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mkII.php) of swapping a resistor for a higher value that resulted in more output volume. I'll post my modded version since it's my personal one (aka not spam :lol:) :

IMGP6590.jpg

IMGP6597.jpg

Also added a bias that basically works like a tone control - bias down it's super fat and bias up it has a thinner sound.

Lately it would be a huge tossup between the MK II and the Buzzaround for my favorite fuzz.

• Members

:lol:
Well I liked the MK3 the most so I'd probably go with one of those first. Sorry Bob, not as much a fan of the 1.5's from the clips I've heard so far.

Here's a demo I did that shows how the mkii and mk1.5 compare against a fuzz face.

[video=youtube;rC6UeWUKApo]

• Members

I love tonebenders!! The best fuzz in the world! I need them all!

If you need some help, these are some of the benders I had:

[video=youtube;KOiaABsoOOo]

[video=youtube;zlz0lGdbfYg]

[video=youtube;kFOVHwYu1nU]

[video=youtube;rqQEPEYYNR0]

[video=youtube;ZPYCHmRUiuY]

• Members

The 1, 2, and 3 sounded pretty cool. The in between ones I didn't care for too much. I'm guessing pedals like the Tone Reaper and Soul Bender are MK3 versions then? Who makes a good 1 or 2 for about that price?

the only "in between" pedal in that demo is the MkI.5. as much as "Just Nick" wants to believe it - there is no difference between those two Professional MkII pedals other than the labels on the transistors. Sola Sound built all the Professional MkII TB pedals (including OEM variants) with OC75, OC81D and Impex S3-1T transistors. the guy doing those demo vids is preaching to the TGP sheep that there are two different Tone Bender MkII versions, which is B.S. and is just adding more confusion to the already very foggy lineage of those pedals.

IMO the best Tone Bender is the SupaFuzz MkI (not featured in that comparison video because MG can't get their hands on an original to clone :D) - check it out on Youtube.

Archived