Software vs. Hardware

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would love to compare my hardware to my softsynth computer but...

...the main hard drive in the softsynth computer died and I lost weeks of setting up the damn thing. Luckly my hardware still works so I can keep on jammin'.

:wave:

• Members

I actually love the "debate" that this topic touches off around here. Some are very passionately connected to thier "old" keyboards & believe that they're somnehow superior to software. Some work exclusively with software & have found them to be reliable (after some painful trial & error).

Whatever works to make your best music

and never stop !

• Members

I never thought I would see this or hear this for that matter but software can in fact be superior in sound quality. The famous people agree. I am just thankful that hardware is making strides in both price and performance. In my book hardware is still the working man's best live rig choice.

• Members

I gigged for several years with a laptop. Only a couple times did I need to reboot. But I'm glad that I had a keyboard with a good piano to see me through until it did.

I wouldn't depend solely on a computer; I'd want a backup. Contrast that with I gigged for a decade with only one keyboard, which never failed. Before that, I gigged with electromechanical pianos; CP70 and Rhodes plus whatever synth, and other than breaking a few Rhodes tines, no failures. Knock on wood.

One trick is to have a computer that does nothing other than your music. Don't connect it to the internet; use a thumb drive to move software from your normal computer to it. Avoid making changes and it'll be far more reliable. I didn't have this luxury; used the same computer for everything, and frequently had to reinstall audio drivers.

Archived