Ampeg Gemini I - thoughts and price check?

Faldoe

• Members

There is on on craigslist near me, looks pretty beat. Guy wants $525 - which I won't pay but depending what I could get it for. They worth it amps? Interested in the "clean" factor, not so much the gain ability.

Can it stay clean at louder volumes or does it break up quick - not what I'm after.

• Members

I sold a fixed-up one for not much more than $400 :(

great amps with great 'verb. I found the cleans to be the best part of the amp -- it's not exactly a tweed deluxe when it comes to drive. A lot better for clean sounds, imo. It records well, too. Just sounds bigger than a Fender.

I sold it because I am just so used to the Fender sound that it is hard to like other amps. And they are pretty big and heavy for how loud they can actually get.

I think they are really good amps - I'd rather have a Reverberocket, but I don't need the extra wattage of the Gemini, and I generally like 12" speakers better than 15's. The Gemini is a better amp if you need great cleans, but not by much - the stock speaker isn't terribly efficient. A speaker swap may be in order if you want to maximize the "loudness" potential of the Gemini I, and if you want to protect the original speaker from getting blown.

• Members

I think they are really good amps - I'd rather have a Reverberocket, but I don't need the extra wattage of the Gemini, and I generally like 12" speakers better than 15's. The Gemini is a better amp if you need great cleans, but not by much - the stock speaker isn't terribly efficient. A speaker swap may be in order if you want to maximize the "loudness" potential of the Gemini I, and if you want to protect the original speaker from getting blown.

A Gem I is a 12" and 22w vs. the Gem II that has a 15" and is 30w. They're pretty different sounding amps - the Gem I is a lot meaner/dirtier and more Rock flavored, the Gem II is ENORMOUS sounding, quite clean and a Surf players wet dream amp.

A comparable amp to the Gem I is a Deluxe Reverb - the Gem I stays cleaner longer and has a much punchier breakup due to the cab design.

Killer amp - $525 if its in good working condition is hitworthy.

Archived