Stomp EQ? Any Point?

Infi-del

• Members

I want to get some kind of EQ for my guitar as I want more control over the tone and where it peaks and dips. I'm looking at the EHX Graphic Fuzz as it seems like a nice simple little EQ with the added benefit of having some fuzz. I really don't think I need some 31 band rack mounted EQ... but I don't want to find that the EHX is too limited either. What do you guys find from your experience? I think a 9 band would be perfect but the 6 that the EHX offers might be enough. I could maybe go for a 15 band... but I simply think 31 is overkill. Love to hear your thoughts.

• Members

I want to get some kind of EQ for my guitar as I want more control over the tone and where it peaks and dips. I'm looking at the EHX Graphic Fuzz as it seems like a nice simple little EQ with the added benefit of having some fuzz. I really don't think I need some 31 band rack mounted EQ... but I don't want to find that the EHX is too limited either. What do you guys find from your experience? I think a 9 band would be perfect but the 6 that the EHX offers might be enough. I could maybe go for a 15 band... but I simply think 31 is overkill. Love to hear your thoughts.

Hey buddy, welcome to HCFX. :):wave:

Are you playing live?

edit: 31 will always be overkill for guitar, the sonic range of the electric guitar doesn't extend into the bands of a dbx1231 or whatever else you're looking at. :)

• Members

I've got an EHX Big box graphic fuzz on ebay for $120 BIN or you can be the only person to bid on it for $100.

Its eq is impressive in the fact that the cuts make it sound more fuzzy. You can use the EQ alone though.

Is the EQ responsive? Does it give you a lot of adjustment in your tone. I plan to put it after my distortion to sort of shape the sound. I figure an EQ will do away with a lot of the "This fuzz pedal has more scooped mids, while that fuzz pedal has warmer lows, and blah blah blah" Does the "Volume" control help to boost the signal pretty well?

• Members

Empress EQ is well-good (v1 and v2) and I usually hate all things Empress/Diamond.

Props where it's due I guess.

THIS!

Empress ParaEQ is still probably the most useful pedal purchase I've ever made. EXTREMELY versatile and can do exactly what the OP wants, plus it has the added benefit of a switchable boost of up to 30db. :thu:

• Members

I have always found the Boss or MXR EQs to be more than enough for pretty much anything. I don't see a compelling reason to spend all kinds of money on an EQ pedal, but that's just me.

I mean, how much "tone shaping" do you really want to get involved with before you just give up and get a new amp, a new dirt pedal, or a new bassist that doesn't step all over you in the mix?

• Members

I have always found the Boss or MXR EQs to be more than enough for pretty much anything. I don't see a compelling reason to spend all kinds of money on an EQ pedal, but that's just me.

I mean, how much "tone shaping" do you really want to get involved with before you just give up and get a new amp, a new dirt pedal, or a new bassist that doesn't step all over you in the mix?

Every graphic EQ I've tried always sounds a bit "unnatural".

As for the Empress, it may APPEAR limited, but it's actually not... Not in the slightest. The top 3 knobs let you lock in to each specific frequency you want to control, and the bottom 3 let you cut or boost each specific frequency you've dialed into. Brilliant design IMO.

• Members

Every graphic EQ I've tried always sounds a bit "unnatural".

As for the Empress, it may APPEAR limited, but it's actually not... Not in the slightest. The top 3 knobs let you lock in to each specific frequency you want to control, and the bottom 3 let you cut or boost each specific frequency you've dialed into. Brilliant design IMO.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was limited. I like that you can grab the slopes and peaks of the signal almost like a flanger and lock them in place. It's almost like voicing the tone. It's interesting indeed.

• Members

Boss EQ20?

Honestly though, I am looking at the Source audio version as well. Have any restriction on price?

I've never been afraid of a $200.00 or $300.00 pedal... but once we start getting into $1K I start looking at new guitars and amps LOL.

Archived