When I First Started Coming Round These Parts

• Members

I think, that for a time, people wanted pedals that did all kinds of wierd things and/or had a bunch of functions. I admit I tried a few, but realized a lot of the sounds are not useful in a band/live situation. So I think a lot of people went through that too, and just started going down to the bare minimum.

This is true for me as well. I've tried tons of stuff since joining and now I really know what I want for the most part in regards to reverb, delay, modulation, and such which makes things a lot more simple. Dirt pedals are a completely different story though.

• Members

My pedal collection started in '82 and I didn't realize they were even collectable until I started coming to this forum...

I've dabbled in some of the newer offerings and to tell the truth, I don't think much has changed. There are definitely some jems imo. But there are SO MANY options out there that I'd almost rather just play through an amp with a few of the pedals I already love and own. The rest can go.

• Members

My pedal collection started in '82 and I didn't realize they were even collectable until I started coming to this forum...

I've dabbled in some of the newer offerings and to tell the truth, I don't think much has changed.
There are definitely some jems imo
. But there are SO MANY options out there that I'd almost rather just play through an amp with a few of the pedals I already love and own. The rest can go.

What pedals are jems?

• Members

I just keep buying stuff, because I make more money now and people have been selling stuff like crazy lately. I really only use like a muff/ od and a chorus and some kind of delay and reverb usually, though. And maybe a phaser once in a while. I just like trying all kinds of stuff because I think its interesting. I still don't like multi-fx, and I'll probably never own one.

• Members

I am definitely guilty of this. I do use it all though, and when I tried downsizing it lasted about 3 weeks. The Timeline and Timefactor have been written into songs in such a way that they could not be performed without them.

As for the m9, I had a pn2 and an ooh wah (that i was barely using) and I realised that with the money I'd get from selling them i could buy an m9 and get something close to those effects plus about 100 other things. Plus, even though the m9 is on the big board, I can take it off for a small portable board whenever I need to.

Works for me.

• Members

After being a MFX user for 20 of the 23 years I've been playing I decided to build my first real (non endorsed) pedal board.

I still have yet to find "that" phaser or vibe, I have sold down to one wah, two delays, 2 comps, 3 dirt boxes, a tuner, and a tremolo. I have a chorus in disrepair and an ooh wah II awaiting travel to a new home.

I use my Tonelab SE for practice and may end up never gigging with the pedal board.

• Members

i bought my first pedals straight as "tools" for my setup and for the sound in the band... tube screamer as booster, wah, delay etc. i changed the styles, bands and learned so much more about "tone", the sound and myself over the years... - about my music/guitar play etc. Today i am a lazy bedroomplayer without any projects or bands. Yeah but i still love to twiddle knobs and to checkout stuff like different sounds, new gear etc. it is like a second hobby beside playing the guitar or making music. ~nice to have!

• Members

I just got sick of the whole pedal business: Lovepedal, Freakish Blues, PGS, Strymon and their bull{censored} hype and fake scarcity, tone buzzwords, shills and 'demos' that are actually compensated endorsements.

pretty much this.... it's about making money, not about making music.

I'm pretty close to selling all my gear and just getting an acoustic to play and never buying anything guitar related again.

• Members

I've always rocked a set up of eight to twelve pedals, the ones I didn't use would get sold off to try other stuff. A lot of the pedals sold traded I regret having done so, so now I just keep them around collecting dust waiting for the call to the big leagues.

• Members

Good on yeah for callin out the "demos", which are modern day effects commercials.

I feel like when PGS first started things were a bit different. There wasn't much in the way of BUY THIS PEDAL. I remember seeing demos by them for pedals that hadn't been properly demo'd on youtube. Holiest Grail comes to mind first.

Archived