I think I'm going to order a Bourgeois acoustic

placebo62

• Members

I like your thinking. I'm selling my house shortly so I'm going to have some cash to back up a ridiculous purchase like this.

They apparently do some special vintage varnish finish on them that supposedly makes the guitar sound a bit older, could be marketing hype but I did hear some comparison samples and the varnish did seem to make a positive impact. Problem is it adds a butt tonne extra to the price.

So I'm really tossing up between buying a new Bourgeois or a vintage J45. I tried a few vintage J45s at the Acoustic Centre on the weekend, but they all felt really delicate, like they'd crumble in my powerful manhands. I played 4 ranging from 1950s - 1960s, and one of the new j45 1942 reissues with a baseball neck, but they all sounded pretty wildly different. Hence my leanings towards a new instrument.

• Members

Oh my goooooooood dude they play so well. I was looking for an awesome acoustic a couple years ago and was looking at either a bourgeois, a froggy bottom, santa cruz. The bourg is definitely one of the finest acoustics made. You would never need to acoustic shop again if you got something custom that you really wanted.

• Members

I've heard nothing but good things about them. I guess Bourgeois, Collings, Huss & Dulton etc - at that level they're all great instruments.

I also looked at a small luthier names John Walker, who used to work for Gibson apparently. But his lead time is over a year and I cant be bothered waiting that long. Life's too short haha

• Members

....sold my '77 Honda Civic and went back to college...I could afford pretty much any acoustic , cuz no financial responsibility crisis.

The big names didn't hold any magic.

There were commercial shops like Larivee. Just getting started really.

And there were a handful of Portland luthiers...I think it was Char, Doolin and Ehlers back then.

I decided on a local product.

It turned out to be a good choice. More character and depth than anything made on a production line.

Play some local guitars.

Keep an artform alive.

• Members

I guess my advice is: seek out your local luthiers, and give their best a shot against The Boug.

There is a lot to be said for a guitar that comes from a single set of hands.

The inlay was not my idea,but it's a remarkably elegant vine. Simply done.

The guitar was 'spec built', so I didn't get to choose the way it looked....but I love the way it sounds. It has a quality that I'd liken to touch-sensitivity in an amp....incredible dynamic range. It works well for both fingerstyle or the heaviest of flatpicking. Not many guitars can do that, well.

• Members

Looks like a nice guitar, will you be able to play it before you buy? Each and every acoustic sounds different.

I almost bought a Collings a few years ago when I had a bit of money saved but someone snatched the one I wanted before I

Could get back to the shop to buy it... I couldn't find another of the same model that I like as well so I ended up going for a stock standard Martin...

At that level you will get a great guitar no doubt.

Sounds pretty good, but I'd have to hear it in person. :idk:

I've got a Gibson J-45 incoming in connection with a review I'm doing, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. One of the earliest guitars I used when I first really started getting serious was a J-45, so I'm interested in seeing how the new ones measure up.

For me, a big consideration is the neck. It's always the neck... and tied with that is the sound. One without the other - the playability and "fit" for my hands, and exceptional sound, or at least a sound that is appealing to me - is a deal-breaker. J-45's traditionally have a pretty darned appealing sound - with a bit more "meat" to it than I'm hearing in the Bourgeois clip.

You just have to play the things until you find one that parts the heavens for you... or work with an exceptional luthier to get one that is customized to fit you. If you're going to order one, or have one built, my advice is to make sure you've played at least a few examples of their guitars so you know what to expect.

Sounds pretty good, but I'd have to hear it in person. :idk:

I've got a Gibson J-45 incoming in connection with a review I'm doing, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. One of the earliest guitars I used when I first really started getting serious was a J-45, so I'm interested in seeing how the new ones measure up.

For me, a big consideration is the neck. It's always the neck... and tied with that is the sound. One without the other - the playability and "fit" for my hands, and exceptional sound, or at least a sound that is appealing to me - is a deal-breaker. J-45's traditionally have a pretty darned appealing sound - with a bit more "meat" to it than I'm hearing in the Bourgeois clip.

You just have to play the things until you find one that parts the heavens for you... or work with an exceptional luthier to get one that is customized to fit you. If you're going to order one, or have one built, my advice is to make sure you've played at least a few examples of their guitars so you know what to expect.

• Members

Thanks Phil.

Which J-45 are you reviewing? I've also looked at the True Vintage and 'New Vintage' J-45s that Wildwood have, but havent played either. Wont get the chance to play the latter. I did play the 1942 Legend reissue J-45 but it didnt do much for me, the neck was a beast, much bigger than the actual vintage J-45s I played. I usually like to support the smaller companies when I can, that being said I've owned a recent Gibson Les Paul Custom and ES-335 and have been very happy with both.

I have played some Bourgeois guiars before, their OM and standard Drednaught and loved both. Apparently the necks are the same across the board, and are based on a 1930s Martin that Dana felt was the perfect neck.

I've purchased many guitars sight unseen before and have never been disappointed, I'm just not that fussy.

At least with something like a Bourgeois it will hold its value, better than an unknown local Melbourne luthier.

• Members

If I had a bunch of money I would definitely consider one of these :thu:

If you're interested, there is a really nice Santa Cruz at Fretted Instruments on Brunswick St., and some great (3-6k) handmade guitars from local luthiers at the Guitar Gallery on Johnson St.

• Members

Are you still in the market for an acoustic? I'll be selling my Larrivee D60 if I order on of these, if thats of interest?

Is it sunburstz?!?? If so... YES!!!

I'd be definitely interested... I'm going to be moving the Maton on for a Larrivee 000-50 so a bigger brother would definitely go down well. PM if you decide to move it on and I'll almost definitely take it off your hands. I still miss my D-05 and D-02E (the latter I sold for a mere $500 :( desperate times).

Archived