A Place to Bury Strangers

alexsga

• Members

These guys rule, Oliver comes up with some insane sounds! Probably the 2nd loudest live show I've witnessed behind the nauseatingly heavy/loud Jucifer.

As for Oliver's "tone", he was a simple setup, 6 pedalz or so, only a couple of which were DBA and not production offerings. Then get beat Jazzy and turn a pair of Fender Twins up LOUD. Go from there.

• Members

They were tremendous. So, freaking loud...they almost triggered an involuntary bowel movement.

Actually, I was expecting them to be louder. The first time I saw them play the Paradise ('09 or '10 ??) hey were crushing and there were very few people there.

• Members

Even with my hands tightly pressed to my ears they were still too loud at the end of their set the last time they were here in Toronto. There was a wall of noise in the last 10 minutes of the night where Oliver kicked on some boost or something that felt like 100db louder than the whole rest of the show was.

Now, you guys: yes, i'm aware Oliver uses DBA things he builds himself and yes, i'm aware he uses pedals like the Armageddon which aren't in production. I was just wondering if y'all have suggestions on what tools might get me close to the sounds we hear during 5:11 - 5:57 of the video I posted above.

• Members

Now, you guys: yes, i'm aware Oliver uses DBA things he builds himself and yes, i'm aware he uses pedals like the Armageddon which aren't in production. I was just wondering if y'all have suggestions on what tools might get me close to the sounds we hear during 5:11 - 5:57 of the video I posted above.

yeah, I kept hoping someone would give you some useful feedback on what he was using there. I can't really tell. It's such an indistinct whirl of sound (which I like). I would think an oscillating delay, combined with an extreme fuzz, and maybe just a bit of phaser to give it some extra swirl would get you there. Just a guess though (I doubt OLiver actually used a phaser there). I was playing around with a similar thing this past weekend, running a devi ever Dream Mangler into a Boss PS-2 (set to oscillate) and a DE7 (also oscillating). I think you'd need a wild sort of fuzz to get you there (or stack multiple fuzzes).

Archived