Seeing Pelican tonight.

Loobs

• Members

How did I know this thread was gonna be the same tired {censored}?

I am so {censored}ing tired of the drummer comments regarding this band. One idiot writes a pitchfork review and then the Internet gossip society takes it as fact and blathers endlessly.

Pelican is good live. The bass players tone is incredible.

• Members

I am so {censored}ing tired of the drummer comments regarding this band. One idiot writes a pitchfork review and then the Internet gossip society takes it as fact and blathers endlessly.

When I say I don't think the drummer is all that good, I base it on seeing them a few times and listening to all of their albums. I wasn't aware that there is a Pitchfork review bashing him or anything, although that is not surprising -- They tend to bash a number of things anyway. All I can say about Pitchfork is, when I do read their reviews, I take them with a grain of salt.

I would say that the drummer is the weakest link only because I think if he were a little more creative, the band could be a lot better. I like Pelican, have spoken to Trevor Debrauw a few times and have seen them a bunch of times + would see them again. My take is, I think they would be really kickass if their drummer could do some Russian Circles-type fills or just something other than what usually sounds like standard uninspired 4/4 stuff. I get it, speculating about what they could be with a different anything is pointless.

SAL, ready for Brillobox?

• Members

When I say I don't think the drummer is all that good, I base it on seeing them a few times and listening to all of their albums. I wasn't aware that there is a Pitchfork review bashing him or anything, although that is not surprising -- They tend to bash a number of things anyway. All I can say about Pitchfork is, when I do read their reviews, I take them with a grain of salt.

I would say that the drummer is the weakest link only because I think if he were a little more creative, the band could be a lot better. I like Pelican, have spoken to Trevor Debrauw a few times and have seen them a bunch of times + would see them again. My take is, I think they would be really kickass if their drummer could do some Russian Circles-type fills or just something other than what usually sounds like standard uninspired 4/4 stuff. I get it, speculating about what they could be with a different anything is pointless.

SAL, ready for Brillobox?

More like are you ready for SAL?

• Members

Nice. Ya the drummer hate is pretty harsh round here. I think he as a player and his style works great with the band...

Bass player does have some cool tone.

Loobs; you haven't heard "the fire in our throats will beckon the thaw?"

Good album

• Members

Judged purely as a drummer, he kinda sucks. Within the band, it somehow/sometimes works and sounds kinda endearing. But lets not make this guy out to be anything special nor forget the old adage "you're only as good as your drummer", which is pretty universally true, imo.

I haven't heard that album...

Presume they'll be using a rented/borrowed backline tonight anyway, so I dunno how good his toan will be.

• Members
His Ernie Ball bass sounds ballin.

Is he Damon Che? Bill Bruford? Yoshida Tatsuya? Todd Trainer? No. He is still appropriate and capable in every way, imo of course, for the type of music Pelican is making.

I mean, I agree that I don't expect nor think Neil Peart or say a Bill Bruford drummer would be fitting but I still think even a Dave Turncrantz can really give it an extra edge when distinguishing Pelican from other bands.

I understand that having a virtuoso guy in Pelican would probably be out of place, I just think Larry Herweg seems content sounding average. I think the rest of the band finds creative ways to not be boring and I like the riffage that the bass and the guitars come up with, I think it's completely fine that they focus on that. I just think having a tight drummer to sort of straddle or push the band would be awesome.

And if your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle...

Looking forward to the show next week SAL. :wave:

• Members

To be fair, I bought City of Echoes on a whim when it came out, not knowing their music at all (and I don't read pitchfork) and I kept thinking, "why are things speeding up and slowing down?" I dig their music overall, and I usually don't pick apart drumming, but the variations in time were really killing me.

• Members

This.

Archived