I hate pedalboards

hugbot

• Members

Or spend close to nothing by going totally DIY with a piece of plywood cut to the size of whateve cool looking old suitcase you can find in yer closest thriftstore. Pimp it if you want to (handles, light, paint, whtvr) and you're set.

Pretty much the plan I've had in mind the last couple years or so. I'm not gonna bother finishing it till get another band going though.

You can make the board as small/big as you want to, only depending on how much luck you have finding a cheap cd/tool/whatever case that's about the size you need.

• Members

They used to do one that was smaller than that though. Perfect pedaltrain JR size

I suppose I could cut it down but that overestimates how much effort I am willing to put in here for a gig I have in a week.

I have 2 of the smaller ones. They are 20" as compared to 30". Buy the 30" for cheap, then with the savings, buy a couple more pedalz.

• Members

I have done both routes. For a looooooong time, I was using a piece of particle board left over from some home project, cut to size and covered with velcro strips. My "powersupply" was a 6 outlet power strip and a couple of One Spot chains. For a case, I got a $5 hardshell suitcase from the Goodwill store in a funky red color, stripped out the lining and lined the inside with eggshell foam. That setup served me well, lasted a long time and cost next to nothing.

A few months ago, the church where I play bought me one of the big Pedaltrain boards with a Voodoo labs power supply and a flight case. The aluminum Pedaltrain is surprisingly light, and I am really liking the angle that it sits at (as opposed to my particle board, which was just flat on the floor). It helps with access to the second row of pedals. The true powersource, with direct leads to each pedal, is also nice.

Was the Pedaltrain a must have for me? No, I did quite well with my homemade setup for a long time. Having said that, I am really enjoying the new setup.

• Members

worth the investment imo.

first off saves you a buttload of time setting up and transporting between gigs

get a power supply and you don't have to worry about plugins or dead batteries.

It also protects and organizes your pedals. (if you get a case)

I know I'm pointing out the obvious but pedals boards are a must if you gig with pedals. and totally worth the money. especially for a good one.

Archived