MPC roll-call

ElectricPuppy

• Members

Update, yo.

I haven't had much time with this beastie yet. What little play time I've had with it so far, though, has been very pleasant. It's easy to get around on, sequencing is quick, and sampling looks to be easy, too.

I like that I can setup a loop sequence, record a track, switch tracks while it plays back what I just did, then record another track, and so on, all without having to stop playback. This is very refreshing.

What I want to do now, I think, is find either some more drum kits with sequences, or some drum loops, 'cause I pretty much suck at drum programming. :) My beatz always sound cheesy.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

too bad mpc's suck

Oh my word, you're right, what was I thinking? The MPC is a huge bag of suck, what with the tight sequencer, easy navigation, nice pads, great build quality... how could I have been so mistaken?

SOMEBODY PLZ BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP FROM ME OR I SHALL BE DOOMED FOREVER

• Members

EP,

Because you're proficient at piana, I'd suggest at least trying to "input" your drum parts using the wonderful Akai pads. I like to do separate passes for kick/snare together, hihats, etc.etc. Although it's not completely "real time" due to the passes, you can truly learn to groove in the proverbial pocket with practice. I find bangin on pads to be much more satisfying than using premade loops (I'm not knocking those who use loops...must....qualify...opinion....before....internet gets...mad...).

And don't sleep on the 16-levels feature, which is wonderful for hi-hats imo. Your world will become 16 squares...kinda like finger hopscotch. left right up down left right etc etc

Try it and see if you like it! There are so many ways to utilize the pads and they're all valid.

Signed,

Another person who sucks at (and hates) programming drums

• Members

OH SNAP SONNNNN

OK:

1000 v 500

Thoughts?

I've read through a lot of forum posts, and the consensus is that of current production MPCs, the 1000 is the "bang for the buck" MPC. I don't think you want the 500. The 2500 is probably the one to save up for if you want more or less top of the line. The 5000 is like the 2500, but I gained an inch of ePeen by buying one. YMMV.

• Members

I've read through a lot of forum posts, and the consensus is that of current production MPCs, the 1000 is the "bang for the buck" MPC. I don't think you want the 500. The 2500 is probably the one to save up for if you want more or less top of the line. The 5000 is like the 2500, but I gained an inch of ePeen by buying one. YMMV.

I've never considered buying a drum machine until recently.

I want something to create drum tracks while I play on top of it.

Plz to help.

SP 404?

Thnx.

• Members

We want you to join the MPC Owners Organization (KSS). Ummm. MOOKSS. Sigh.

Anyway, we know that peer pressure works on you (when's that PC3X showing up?) so why should we stop now?
:D

Peer pressure does not work on me :mad:

PC3x happens when:

1. My grad school gives me my $7500 rebate (this week)

2. I can get my ass to Chuck Levin's Washington Music

After which I will purchase:

1. Some interface (halp!)

2. Some monitors (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Musicians-Gear-Monitor-and-Mic-Package-B?sku=483367)

3. Rhythm maker (halp!)

4. D50

• Members

EP,

Because you're proficient at piana, I'd suggest at least trying to "input" your drum parts using the wonderful Akai pads. I like to do separate passes for kick/snare together, hihats, etc.etc. Although it's not completely "real time" due to the passes, you can truly learn to groove in the proverbial pocket with practice. I find bangin on pads to be much more satisfying than using premade loops (I'm not knocking those who use loops...must....qualify...opinion....before....internet gets...mad...).

And don't sleep on the 16-levels feature, which is wonderful for hi-hats imo. Your world will become 16 squares...kinda like finger hopscotch. left right up down left right etc etc

Try it and see if you like it! There are so many ways to utilize the pads and they're all valid.

Signed,

Another person who sucks at (and hates) programming drums

Thank you kindly for the advice, Mr. Jaw. :thu: I'm starting to dig the pads, actually. Haven't tried the 16-levels thing (thang?) yet, still trying to moderate velocity the old fashioned way.

I'm not sure it's my technique that makes my beats cheesy, I think it's just that... well... *I'm* cheesy. :lol:

Archived