MPC roll-call

ElectricPuppy

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, did you finally give up on waiting for LinnDrum II?

Apparently Roger Linn gave up on Dave Smith being able to help him/do his part of the deal... it will be a full Roger Linn product, not a Roger Linn/Dave Smith product... here's the link in case this is news to anyone...

I haven't heard anything from the BeatThang that tells me it isn't just a beefed up SB-246...

• Members

OK MPCites. Answer me a question, if you would please.

How would the MPC work for non-step sequencing of just regular ol' rock and roll music? How are the internal acoustic drum sounds? Would it work at all for that? I've been wanting to upgrade my Zoom RT-223 to a Boss DR-880 but I wonder if I should just go ahead and get a used MPC500 w/JJOS.

• Members

Well, first off, there are no internal sounds. It sounds as good as what you load into it. There are some free sounds that come with it, but they are dance oriented and I dont even let them preload.

As far as doing non-step sequencing you can turn off record quantizing and just play everything in linearly in a very long pattern, or play in the patterns and dont quantize after. Its resolution is not as high as something like Sonar or Logic, but there was a day when 192ppqn was considered 'high resolution'...

That being said, I dont know if what you would get out of owning an MPC would be worth it for the style of music you say you do. Really, the MPC is about the sequencer (IMHO) and about how you can perform with that sequencer. anything can sample and loop....

• Members

So I finally got some time to seriously play (!) around with my new MPC2500, which has jj os xl 1.13 on it . This thing is an absolute blast. Just laying down some extra one-shot drum samples on top of this other loop I'd jacked from a song. So much fun. Can't wait to learn more...

You gotta try OS2. In XL, JJ got rid of XOX style sequencing and real-time loop editing in the grid. :cop:

• Members
You gotta try OS2. JJ got rid of XOX style sequencing and real time loop grid editing in XL.
:cop:

I had JJOS on my MPC1000 that I sold, but I have not seen the need for it yet on my 2500. If he got rid of those sequencing methods (which I happen to use..) then what did he replace them with?

I am a bit confused on the what exactly the JJOS offers on the 2500. you cant ask that on the MPC forums...they will just call you an idiot for asking the question, and insult your mother because you didnt already buy 5 copies of the JJOS and offer him handjobs for life.

• Members

I am a bit confused on the what exactly the JJOS offers on the 2500. you cant ask that on the MPC forums...they will just call you an idiot for asking the question, and insult your mother because you didnt already buy 5 copies of the JJOS and offer him handjobs for life.

JJOS on the 1000 and 2500 are the same.

• Members

Well, first off, there are no internal sounds.

FYI. The 500, 1000, 2500, 3500 and 5000 all have a flash rom with factory sounds on them. You can create a auto load folder that will be used to hold your own sounds and set the MPC to load these during boot up but, default is for the MPC to load it's own sounds.

CR, MPC's are a lot like a standard drum machine so I feel you would be right at home with one. The plus is you can sample/load any drum machine/wav sound in to them and create a custom drum machine sound set. All this can be done by analog/digital inputs, usb or a compact flash card reader. Plus you can chop up loops if you choose. I have never chopped loops in mine and pretty much use it as a master sequencer/sample player.

• Members

If I may ask, what does the OS2 have that the Akai OS doesnt? The chart on the JJOS page assumes you know the MPC really well, and that you can translate JJ's sometimes hard to understand english.

Thanks for your help.

XOX style sequencing and real-time loop editing in the grid(jjOS2), 300.000 note capacity, MIDI Grid, pad aftertouch, just to name a few.

Archived