MPC roll-call

ElectricPuppy

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can't really do X0X-style programming on the MPCs, or can you?

All I want to do is program a bunch of 16-step chunks, string them into "songs" and have them sync to a DAW. Deep tweaking of onboard sounds and user samples would be great too.

...this is why an old piece of plastic junk like the ES-1 is still my go-to drum machine. :o

• Members

I flipped through the 2500's manual last night and I get the impression that you CAN do X0X-style programming on it. At least, there's some mode that displays a X0X grid on the LCD, so...
:idk:

Anyone?

The JJOS mpc's have a grid mode editing option.. at least for the mpc1000...

• Members

i think the grid you saw was for the 'slicing' feature? i think the JJOS can do grid programming, but it looks more like piano roll style?

Carbon - have you tried the MachineDrum? not to say that it compares to an MPC as far as sequencing, but for x0x programming and drum synthesis i'm very impressed with it. extensive song mode as well.

• Members

Is there anyone who has say... a Fantom G and one of these things that could tell me what I would gain by getting an MPC over what the Fantom G can produce as far as sequencing, etc?

I only have 2 keyboards. Fantom G7 and SH-201. I gather these MPCs would be more popular for the non workstation type synths?

Anyway, reason I ask is I am always looking for a more streamlined / creative workflow. I can't demo these where I live.

• Members

asking anyone who has an MPC w/ the JJOS - does it do grid programming like the x0x machines where each pad equates to a step in the grid? as in hitting pads 1,5,9,and 13 will lay down a quick 'four-on-the-floor' beat? for some reason i don't think it does.

• Members

Carbon - have you tried the MachineDrum? not to say that it compares to an MPC as far as sequencing, but for x0x programming and drum synthesis i'm very impressed with it. extensive song mode as well.

Very tempting.

Can't find one locally to demo though. Don't want to outlay a lot of cash then have it not work out, like what happened with me and the MV8800. :(

MPCs are ubiquitous though...and grid editing may be plenty good enough for my purposes. I'll have to try one out.

BTW, what's "JJOS"?

• Members

My guess is you won't care about X0X-style programming after you've tried it.
:idk:

oh, you'd definitely miss it if it's something you're used to.

Carbon - feel free to PM me if there's anything you'd like to know about the MD. also, the manual is a good read and can be downloaded from the Elektron site. certainly not trying to steer you from the MPC though, i'd suggest buying both of them! :D

• Members

BTW, what's "JJOS"?

Its an alternative MPC OS, made by a Japanese guy called JJ. Its quite cheap to purchase, and offers a slightly different workflow, which many users think is superior to the Akai OS. It also 'unlocks' a few features on lower spec'd machines like the MPC1000.

• Members

Well, if SOUND and programmability are what you're into, I'm not sure anything will come close (it will certainly be at the top of the pack) ... Although, I'll admit, somewhat neg. reviews for P08 have me concerned except that I think it's "easier" to do drum percussion right ... I have only cheap boxes now

• Members

You can't really do X0X-style programming on the MPCs, or can you?

All I want to do is program a bunch of 16-step chunks, string them into "songs" and have them sync to a DAW. Deep tweaking of onboard sounds and user samples would be great too.

...this is why an old piece of plastic junk like the ES-1 is still my go-to drum machine.
:o

JJ OS is a series of aftermarket OS's for the MPC1000/2500 created by some lunatic in Japan. Each OS adds signficant changes to the MPC1000: easier audio-recording, ADSR envelopes and the ability to create instrument programs rather than just percussion samples. Read the MPC forums - more talk about JJ than you can poop on.

Grid sequencing on a JJ OS machine will give this to you - think of it as piano sequencing but with 8/16/32 note quantizing. You can program a drum loop pretty quickly, although without the immediacy (and enjoyment) of XOX buttons.

If JJ could add the ability to use the pads as a 16 note sequencer the MPC1000 would be close to a perfect performance seqeuencer, IMO.

My take on the current hardware:

MPC 1000 if you can live with pretty much any type of sequencing EXCEPT XOX style but want huge onboard sample storage and pretty good onboard mangling capability.

MachineDrum UW-1 if you must have XOX sequencing and top dollar sample mangling AND you can live with importing samples and far less sequencing depth. It really is an ES-1 on massive steroids and since you seem to have some prior experience with programming (:lol::lol::lol:) you'll take to the MachineDrum like a (financially strapped) fish to water.

• Members

MPC 3000 LE w. Vailixi OS - staying

MPC 3000 (16 Mb RAM, new inverter, new backlight, recapped PS) - for sale

MPC 5000 (actually labelled 3500 - long story) - for sale

I had an MPC 60 for a long time, moved away from it to using Cubase on a PC, spent more time dicking around w. the software and the PC than actually using it, decided to go back to hardware.

PM me if interested in the 5000 or 3000

Archived