recommend some rock with gospel vocals

zygoat

• Members

Not sure where to start, I just listened to that track from Faith No More, Just a Man... with those gospel vocals at the end, so sick. I always end up listening to it like 5 times in a row. Anyone know some other {censored} like that?

please don't go into the p&w stuff, don't want an annoying thread.

• Members

H8ULIw0Zgaw

If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill! May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy.

I think there's power in that one, as a musician (especially since a lot of other translations deliberately refer to the skill as skill with the harp). If I forget the things I hold closest to my being, may my music die inside me. It's poetry. I like it... Expresses something human. So many texts do, mixed in with some pretty sharp dogmatic disagreements... But there's power in the words we share and I find it remarkable that I can feel some profound resonance with the poet who penned that a few thousand years back (however you slice it, that's an old, old verse).

Plus, the story of Matisyahu. Matthew follows Phish around for years as, well, a stoner who follows Phish around - then abruptly gives that life up, converts to Hasidim, and with permission from and only after consultation with his rabbis, proceeds to make reggae that's competitive with Marley for chart success. I've read some very harsh critiques refer to his work as basically minstrelsy, cultural appropriation, but I think there's more to it than that, especially since reggae borrows so much language and imagery from Zionism... And his success in nations where reggae is more than just a style of music makes that critique sound a little hollow to me.

Of course, having lately left Hasidim there's really no telling where he'll go from here. But I am looking forward to his next album, and hope he does well.

Archived