Trip to NYC! what to see?

• Members

MOMA and The MET.

These are musts since I am an artf*g. No matter how many times I do it, I still love walking / riding my bike across the Brooklyn Bridge. {censored} the crowds, it just feels so damn awesome. I also would recommend taking an aimless commuter ferry ride. They go from east side to west side and a few Jersey points (Atlantic Highlands) in between and can offer some very solid views of the city. Very cheap and the SeaStreak's have very comfy seating / accommodations.

Since I live in Brooklyn I naturally favor staying on my side of the bridge. Tons of good restaurants / shopping / markets etc. When are you going to be in town specifically? Feel free to holla and I will try my best to hook you up with some knowledge.

By "knowledge" I mean blindfold you and deliver you to Natty's rape dungeon in Sunnyside of course.

• Members

don't waste any time in Times Square, unless you really really have a craving for Applebee's or Sbarro

It blows me away as to the insane level of tourism / attraction to this area where Applebee's and other generic travesties are all to be absorbed. You could get this same experience at any {censored}ty mall across america but no, you need the version with extreme lighting and massive crowds.

• Members

Haha yea, I wasn't expecting much, but damn. It's not even so much that there's a ton of {censored}ty chain restaurants you see in any mall there, it's that it's the only thing to eat. Other than like, the hot-dog/pretzel carts, there were only a few mediocre pizza places I found wandering around looking for dinner on the spot. I was there for a conference on a tight schedule, so I couldn't really leave the area.

Though, the last night I had to get dinner at LaGuardia, so I can't say it was the worst dining experience in the context of my trip.

• Members

It blows me away as to the insane level of tourism / attraction to this area where Applebee's and other generic travesties are all to be absorbed. You could get this same experience at any {censored}ty mall across america but no, you need the version with extreme lighting and massive crowds.

Because tourists from the Midwest want the cartoon of New York they were shown in movies, they don't want to actually be in New York. Take away their chain restaurants, and how the hell will they know where to eat? These people would go to Applebees in Paris or Rio if that existed.

Luckily for franchisers, they know this and can double the price of their menu and people will pay it.

• Members

Well, i think that the hotel is near Times Square so i have to cross TS to go rest :facepalm:

Im in the city from 18 to 26 june. MoMa and Metropolitan are in my list (since i was in almost all big museums of London and Paris too).

Brooklyn bridge (and a tour in Brooklyn), a walk though Central Park and visit the Empire State and the Top of the rock (and took some photos, im going to carry my dslr and a pair of 32 Gb cards :)) are too, id like to spend some time in Soho and Greenwich (id love to go to a jazz jam, not to play of course, just listen :lol:)

My girl is writing tons of "touristic tracks" right now so i supose i will have to wear my best comfy shoes :facepalm:, well she maked one for me with comic and tv/movie places too :love:

Thanx for the advices guys!

• Members

I was there over the weekend. Went to Manny's and it's now a Sam Ash. :(

Freedom tower is looking good, and for the length of the line, I was in and out of the museum in just about 25 mins, and that was without a reservation. They are moving people through there. I went before noon.

Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Did that too, I do that every time I go (if I can). I like to hang out in Uptown too. Went to Rudy's. Went to McSorely's (midtown, village), because it's one of, if not the oldest bar in the US. They have dust there that predates the civil war - and they're proud of it.

Central Park is always nice. Strawberry Fields. BB Kings. You can stare at the cool paraphernalia in the Hard Rock Cafe. I admit that I still like seeing what they have behind the glass. Take in a show if you can. Look at the subway maps and learn how to get around there, and you'll have fun.

I did all that in 10 hours, by the way.

• Members

buy some beer. ride the staten island ferry in the late affternoon and enjoy some beer on the water. (the ferry is free and it's cool). get to staten island and walk down to that little park that's to your right as you get off the ferry. go sit there and watch the sunset and drink some more of your beer. ride the ferry back to manhatten. enjoy that summer evening in the open air on the ferry. that's a cheap fun afternoon. and it's a great way to see new york.

the beer drinking part isn't technically legal, so be discreet, but it's really not a big deal.

also, go to the natural history museum. it's the coolest museum i've ever been to. it's also free or cheap. they have ticket prices advertised that aren't so cheap, but the fine print underneath explains that these are actually suggested donation prices. you can just give them a couple of dollars, or say you don't have any money and they'll still let you in. it's so awesome, but you'll need a few hours to really enjoy it.

also, see if there's a show at the death by audio warehouse. it's a cool place for a show.

i don't really know new york that well, but those are some good times that i've had there.

don't carry a knife. the cops there are such dicks about a little ol' knife.

• Members

Yes, comfortable shoes are a must - there's much walking to be done in NYC. The Met is an incredible place, be prepared to spend some time there if you've already enjoyed other great museums of the world.

I prefer Brooklyn myself, I enjoy the more laid-back feel. Hang out in Brooklyn Bridge park for a bit - as well as the between the bridges park. The Carousel there is pretty great, imo - though it doesn't run on Tuesdays as I recall. While down there check out Jacques Torres' chocolate shop on Water st. The wicked hot chocolate is pretty killer - and in the summer they do it frozen also. The cookies there are large (and fantastic, imo).

Oh, and food in Times Sq is ridiculously overpriced for sure.

Ah, and the promenade in Brooklyn Heights (right across the Brooklyn Bridge) is a fantastic place to watch the sunset over the harbor. Good restaurants on Henry st (also brooklyn Heights) too. Never had a bad meal at Noodle Pudding. Seriously.

Archived