How to attack Autumn Leaves?

• Members

Figuratively, unless it brings my mom into it.

But on a more serious note, I have to do a Jazz improv for school and I don't have the slightest clue what kind of modes or stylistic techniques I can use, as far as I know I should just stick to Gm (I'm playing it in the key of Gm) and stick within the chords and whatnot, but what are some cool stylistic dooziwhatsits that I can throw in? Or like ways to incorporate different modes or something? I need to refer to at least 3 techniques and I don't listen to a whole lot of Jazz.

• Members

Stick to gm(Bb maj) over the cm F7 Bb (including the Eb)

Then switch to g harmonic minor over the a min7b5 D7 gm parts

Throw in some octaves, arpeggios, and play a couple three note chords in the middle of a solo and there's three "techniques"

• Members

Cool assignment... Start listening to guys play that song... over and over.

Then play the chords a whole bunch and get the sound of the changes in your head... Read/Sing the melody (or just figure it out by ear and sing it)

Or ignore all that and just play the key centers :)

Bb major for the first 4 chords. G minor starting at the Am7b5 through the first ending. That repeats through the second ending.

Then you are back in G minor for all of the 4th line... Bb major for all of the 5th line

G minor the last 2 lines.

I was in this jazz band for 3 quarters at school.. Our teacher during the first 5 or 6 tunes had us play key centers... I copied this out of our real book packets. He wrote those key centers in there. That should be and easy way to stay in the ball park... Its just Bb major or G minor... Have fun man... You have cool homework!

EDIT: I'm a jack ass and skipped your question about expanding things... If you wanted to do some modal stuff you can treat each chord individually... Play Dorian on the Minor 7 chords (from their respective tonic)... Mixo on the dominant 7 chords... Locrian "#2" (natural 2) on the mi7b5 chords... Altered on the altered dominant chords.

Orrrrrr, you can keep to the key centers and play the sexy notes (these sexy note suggestions are all based off the chord you are playing over... just play the key centers over the chunks of chords explained earlier but think of each individual chord's sexy notes, as the chords go by)... Over the m7b5 chords play the 9... over the mi7 chords play the 6 (not to be confused with the b6)... over the Dominant chords I'd try the b7 or 9... On the major 7 chords I'd try the 7 or 9.

Archived