OT: How is your hearing ?

gilwe

• Members

When I was in the forces we were supposed to wear ear defenders when working in transmitters and generator enclosures, for about 80% of the time I'm sure I must have done and I'm glad I did. Even so I still have slightly better hearing in one lughole at certain freqs than the other :cop:

• Members

sadly, my hearing has lost some of it's fidelity. when i was young, i had a 100watt marshall amp with a 4x12 cabinet. what need did i have for a stadium amp you may ask? well, the answer is none. it did amuse me though that i could drown out the drummer with the pre-amp and master amp both set to four out of a possible ten. i was also amused that i could have played maple leaf gardens without having to mic my amp. i will say this though, it sure was fun to crank out back in black at high volume.

i also blame the original sony walkman. they really should have had a volume limiter on them. they were surprisingly loud.

• Members

My hearing is what my audiologist called "supra-normal" on the right side and about average on the left. My sense of hearing has always been very sensitive; I tend to hear faint sounds or aspects of a sound that no one else in the room can discern. The trade-off is that I have to physically plug my ears in movie theaters during previews, and I generally avoid loud live music. In both cases the amplitude is such that it hurts my ears.

I'm actually quite lucky (I told the following story here once before). I had begun to lose the hearing in my left ear over the course of several years, and a hearing exam determined that it was due to conductive hearing loss rather than exposure to sound. I had a condition where one of the bones in my left middle ear had ossified to the extent that I had lost about 70% of my hearing on that side. The surgeon went in, took out that tiny bone (the stapes), replaced it with an artificial one made of titanium, and now I can hear normally again. Pretty amazing.

I see a lot of people in Austin who don't preserve their hearing, this being a guitar town. There are lots of musicians who are in love with their tube amps and turn them way up to get that tone they're after.

• Members

Word is from an otolaryngologist (ear nose and throast surgeon):

Ear candles are not safe.

Your ears clean themselves unless there is some kind of problem, in which case, you need to see a doctor who specializes in the head and neck, or ears.

Never insert anything into your ear farther than your pinky finger can go.

Avoid earbud headphones altogether.

You can damage your hearing without experiencing hearing loss for many years.

If you feel that you have a problem of any kind with your ears or hearing, see a doctor.

• Members

About six years ago I went to a loud concert - I left with my ears ringing and it's never stopped since that night. Tinnitus doesn't always develop slowly over a long time. It can be sudden - and devastating. The momentary rush of listening to loud music is not worth living with this condition for the rest of your life, believe me.

• Members

The surgeon went in, took out that tiny bone (the stapes), replaced it with an artificial one made of titanium, and now I can hear normally again.

JP: You didn't knock, Cain!

C: I did, but I think the music was too loud...

JP: What's the matter, are you afraid of it?

C: ...No, I just don't really like techno.

JP: You would if you had robot ears.

C: ...Yeah I guess...

-Grandma's Boy

• Members

In the UK the NHS used to syringe ears to remove wax that was blocking hearing. Using either a syringe or a special pump they used a jet of water to remove wax. I had it done about four or five times. But then either people got more litigious or they cut costs by getting less skilled people to do it and they started getting sued for puncturing people's eardrums in the process. Now they are much more selective and they refused to do it for me when I needed it, although they still do it for my Father - who has wax build up behind his hearing aid. In desperation, I tried everything that might possibly help wax - chewing gum to work the jaw and loosen things around the ear, adding olive oil and garlic to my diet to try and improve the health of my skin, and changing the way I wash to make absolutely sure I didn't get dirty/soapy water in my ear. Eventually the wax cleared, although I don't really know if any of the above helped.

I avoid loud music when at all possible. I sometimes like having music quite soft, so you have to pay attention to appreciate it. This works quite well with chamber music, which I guess was never designed to be played loud.

i get my left ear syringed by the practice nurse at the local surgery once a year - seems that the canal is quite narrow which, combined with wax production at a rate that many small countries would be proud of, results in annual blockage if i don't get it cleared.

it's by no means unpleasant. it is highly effective. it means that i can hear.

i have found no other way of keeping the ear clear of wax myself.

the nurse always checks that there are no signs of inflammation or physical damage. if she's not sure she gets a doctor to look at it.

this is a commonplace procedure. it is not unsafe.

i recommend that you see a doctor about it in the first instance.

• Members

i still have 20/20k hearing. my left ear is noticeably quieter above 10k due to a nasty ear infection that left me deaf in that ear for a week as a teenager. but I can still hear up to 20k.

ear plugs help.

You lucky you.

I ran a sine wave in absynth the other day. I can hear slightly quieter from 25-40 Hz, and nothing above 16 kHz. This is all with a sine wave, headphones, moderately loud output, thus probably because it doesn't have much spectrum energy in higher frequency range. With a saw wave, let's see... about 18 kHz.

I'm {censored}ed. T_T

• Members

You lucky you.

I'm 22 and I think I can't hear above 18k anymore. {censored}. T_T

A lot of people can't hear above 17/18k. And it IS really high u_u.

I've tested my hearing range a while ago (high-range, not low) and I could hear up to 20k, but I don't think I still can. I use protection whenever I think of it (I tend to forget to bring it to concerts and rehearsals..)

• Members
A lot of people can't hear above 17/18k. And it IS really high u_u.

I've tested my hearing range a while ago (high-range, not low) and I could hear up to 20k, but I don't think I still can. I use protection whenever I think of it (I tend to forget to bring it to concerts and rehearsals..)

I have edited the post with some more info. Amidoinitrite? :wave:

• Members

About six years ago I went to a loud concert - I left with my ears ringing and it's never stopped since that night. Tinnitus doesn't always develop slowly over a long time. It can be sudden - and devastating. The momentary rush of listening to loud music is not worth living with this condition for the rest of your life, believe me.

I remember posting this some time ago. Helped me a lot.

Archived