Guitar tone mojo or reality??

BHz_econo

• Members

I'll watch this when I get the chance, thanks for posting. There's a lot of bollocks and magical thinking around this stuff, but some truth too. I knew a guy who studied this stuff at university, using all sorts of factors to check and measure tone variation. He said the bottom line was always the pickups, people need to remember that we're not dealing with an acoustic instrument. As long as the strings can resonate (ie aren't old, and your frets are in good condition), then anything else outside the pickups doesnt mean much.

After all the effort, I'd be interested to find out how much John Mayer cares about the PA in the venues he plays.

• Members

I'll tell you one thing I do think makes a difference, though. Playing a guitar all the time for years. Not only does wood tend to stabilize after about 5 years or so, but I feel like playing a guitar in so to speak tends to make the parts settle and wear in a way that's both more comfortable to play (as in the neck finish and fretboard) but also sort of puts them to the test. After a few years of crap that comes loose being re-tightened i feel like you'll either have fixed the problem or it will settle in place.

This is quite reasonable, it would also explain mojo. To continuously play the guitar for 5 years will also make you sound better through the same guitar!

They talk a lot about the guitar body, I would say a good neck is much more important for an electric.. don't you think?

• Members

After all the effort, I'd be interested to find out how much John Mayer cares about the PA in the venues he plays.

At every venue he makes a note of where the guitar sounds its best, and charges appropriately for tickets in those seats.

• Members

I had a long response I painstakingly typed out on my phone only to drop it and delete the message.

After I finished the wine flight, I ordered another Pinot Nior and specifically asked the server to pick the driest one they had. I get the glass and give it a swirl and bam - it is the best wine I ever had. Sip after sip and I enjoyed it more and more. A few minutes later the server comes over and apologizes that she actually gave me the wrong wine and it was a duplicate of one that I had sampled on the wine flight.
:facepalm:
I think the mind has a way of tricking you into believing that there is a vast difference when really there may not be.

TL;DR: Eric Johnson'd

The fourth glass of wine ALWAYS tastes better.

Qalso, the fourth (or fifth, or sixth...) thing you mod on a guitar ALWAYS makes a surprising difference in TOAN.

It's science.

• Members

Finish makes a difference if it hasn't cured/hardened. I had an old Peacey Tracer refinned by an auto painter who wanted to try working on a guitar. The finish was soft and the end result was a muddy tone compared to how it sounded previously.

Pickups are vital. I have tried five sets in my 93 PRS and am getting ready for set #6.

But the sound of the amp and pedals are just as important to get the sound YOU want.

It all adds upto MOJO. If the sound doesn't resonate with you then there is a problem.

Archived