NIN - live at woodstock 1994

• Members

Well that's a coincidence...I just queued up The Slip on my stereo before I came to browse the forum.

I was nine in 1994, so I didn't make it to Woodstock, but I've seen NIN three times. The first time was during the "club tour" they did just before With Teeth at this place called The Tabernacle in Atlanta. That was my favorite time seeing them because it was a small venue, maybe a thousand people, the stage setup was minimal, and I was about fifteen feet from the stage. It was close, loud, and intense.

• Members

I was there. Sorta near the stage before they went on. All the sudden these mud covered dudes were walking up to me so I said to the people I was with, "lookout, Mud People." They walked by us, kept going to the side entrance to the stage, and about two minutes later NIN took the stage. Covered in mud.

• Members
Well that's a coincidence...I just queued up The Slip on my stereo before I came to browse the forum.

I was nine in 1994, so I didn't make it to Woodstock, but I've seen NIN three times. The first time was during the "club tour" they did just before With Teeth at this place called The Tabernacle in Atlanta. That was my favorite time seeing them because it was a small venue, maybe a thousand people, the stage setup was minimal, and I was about fifteen feet from the stage. It was close, loud, and intense.

The first time I saw them was in a similar circumstance at the club Numbers in Houston. This was when they were touring for Downward Spiral. It was one of those things where they announced he the show the day they performed, so it was pretty exclusive. I was offered a ticket at the last moment, and got lucky enough to be able to drop everything and go. I will never forget that show. It was one of the most intense performances I've ever seen. It sounded like they had packed the same PA that they used on the stadium tour into this little club. And they were incredibly tight! I watched from about 20 feet away.

I've still got a knob off of one of the few Les Paul's that Trent smashed during the show. I found it on the floor amongst the beer cups after they finished playing and the bar cleared out. Nice little keepsake. :)

• Members

I wish. :(Just too young... I was 14 at the time, and my parents forbade me from going. And as a good little boy, I obeyed. :mad: Same thing with the Outside Tour w/Bowie the next year.

A year later, they buy me Manson tickets for the Antichrist Superstar tour for Christmas. :rolleyes:

I saw NIN in 2000 for the Fragility Tour. Pretty good show; great sound, great light show. Very by-the-numbers stage presence though. :idk: Seemed almost rote and clich

• Members

The first time I saw them was in a similar circumstance at the club Numbers in Houston. This was when they were touring for Downward Spiral. It was one of those things where they announced he the show the day they performed, so it was pretty exclusive. I was offered a ticket at the last moment, and got lucky enough to be able to drop everything and go. I will never forget that show. It was one of the most intense performances I've ever seen. It sounded like they had packed the same PA that they used on the stadium tour into this little club. And they were incredibly tight! I watched from about 20 feet away.

I've still got a knob off of one of the few Les Paul's that Trent smashed during the show. I found it on the floor amongst the beer cups after they finished playing and the bar cleared out. Nice little keepsake.

There's probably a lot of people who never got the opportunity to see them in that kind of setting. I guess what made that experience stand out so much was that the band works so well in both environments. I've seen them doing the big arena production style tour with crazy visuals and everything, too, and it's always struck me that I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything in the smaller venue. Like the albums I was talking about - apples and oranges. Both delicious.

• Members

I really like With Teeth, too, which according to people who wear black nail polish is something I should be ashamed of. I can appreciate the significance of The Downward Spiral and I agree that it's an amazing record, but my impression is that it's a work of art that requires focus and needs to be experienced as a whole as opposed to something that's just listenable. There's a couple of songs that are a bit abrasive and I wouldn't really enjoy outside of the context of the record.

I would agree that With Teeth is not a work of art but just a solid rock album. There are a lot of people who treat the artistic statement as the only thing that matters, and I understand where they're coming from, but I can enjoy both for different reasons. The final three songs on With Teeth flow together and create a kind of mini-arc that is probably my favorite fifteen minutes of NIN music.

I understand what you are saying. And while I can appreciate the technical aspects of Trent's latter output (the albums sound great - one of my points of contention, actually. It doesn't sound like industrial music. There is no dirt, no rust, no sweat, no spunk.) they don't sound like NIN. Which is fine; he doesn't have to keep writing NIN music. But he should retire the name, the label; his sound has changed and evolved drastically, his entire movement and focus has. Let NIN go and fully embrace that.

As for the whole abrasive aspect

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Bump for greatness. A better version popped up last year and I only just found out about it. They posted links in the description to MP4, MP3, and FLAC.

And thanks ollenorin for telling us about this performance. Holy moly it still gets my blood rushing every time. Really stoked for you that you could be there in person.

Archived