Can we make a Fender Silverface field guide in this thread?

hangwire

• Members

It would be very helpful to me and perhaps others to have a thread where the different fender silverface amps can be identified by cosmetic things to know what era and specs they likely are - in an easy to find thread when out and about.

Such thing to clarify would be drip edges, logo shapes, placement, grill cloth type, master volume and controls that were added in certain periods...etc.

Like for one instance, are all non-master volume silverfaces are pre linear? Aka all tube design through instead of the solid state ultra linear ones of the later 70s?

• Members

Still the most comprehensible guide there is. Most SF listing s(as well as others will list the differences and variations between models).

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

Admittedly, it has a lot of holes and hasn't been updated in a decade, but I doubt anyone here is going to put together a better list within a thread.

Oh, and the big ultralinear Fender amps were tube, not solid-state. It's all in the output transformer design. And it is not inherently bad (the Dr. Z Route 66 is UL, as was the super desirable Standel 25L15), but the problem with Field Guides is people use them to make "Good/Bad" lists without going and out hearing the amps themselves to form their own opinion.

• Members

I've used UL bassmans (bassmen?) in the studio and live pretty much exclusively since 2008 (a 135 in the studio and my own 70 live and for cleans in the studio). They break up just fine and they make me sexwee every time, moreso than any other bassmans for that matter.

• Members

Still the most comprehensible guide there is. Most SF listing s(as well as others will list the differences and variations between models).

Admittedly, it has a lot of holes and hasn't been updated in a decade, but I doubt anyone here is going to put together a better list within a thread.

Oh, and the big ultralinear Fender amps were tube, not solid-state. It's all in the output transformer design. And it is not inherently bad (the Dr. Z Route 66 is UL, as was the super desirable Standel 25L15), but the problem with Field Guides is people use them to make "Good/Bad" lists without going and out hearing the amps themselves to form their own opinion.

This. Generally, the Drip Edges were 1968-1969, but a lot of the other differences vary depending on the model. Checking the FFG is easy enough.

Archived