how do you get 21 years after killing 77 people?

Ryan.

• Members

Ok, so I googled recidivism, and whilst I agree that there are some very progressive and successful rehabilitation schemes going on in Europe, they should be reserved for first time offenders and youngsters. But anyone who is considered sane and massacres 70+ should probably be considered beyond rehabilitation and have no stake in society whatsoever.

In away I agree with the idea that Breivik is a highly exceptional case and the normal system isn't designed for him. But in this particular case I also think they make a good point in treating him like any other criminal. It proves him wrong, which is the biggest possible punishment he can receive.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To all those people saying 'yeah but they can add five years, he wont get out etc'. I don't think that's the point, the point is that the words '21 years' get mentioned at all. It kind of shows that a lot of legal systems are just insane.

What is actually insane is judging Norway's entire legal system to be insane based on the sentence delivered to one man in a case that is completely exceptional.

• Members

In away I agree with the idea that Breivik is a highly exceptional case and the normal system isn't designed for him. But in this particular case I also think they make a good point in treating him like any other criminal. It proves him wrong, which is the biggest possible punishment he can receive.

Absolutely. By treating him as any other criminal, his own ego doesn't get the kick it needs.

• Members

What is actually insane is judging Norway's entire legal system to be insane based on the sentence delivered to one man in a case that is completely exceptional.

So, if I go out and commit an exceptional crime, I can expect a less than proportionate punishment? And it's not the legal system's fault that they didn't have any legislation in place?

• Members

Norway is a highly civilised country with a very low homicide rate and they simply don't do the over-reaction or hysteria that would be generated if something like that happened in the UK or USA for example. It's entirely possible he will be walking the streets in 21 years time - I don't think he should but there it is.

• Members

You keep switching between Breivik and the wider point. In general, a prisoner are still humans and have rights like anyone else. In Norway they believe in rehabilitation, so everyone gets an evaluation after their initial sentence time (which will be up to 21 years). Breivik is a highly unusual case (I'm pretty sure "mass murder" isn't a real legal term there, I know it isn't around here), but they're making a great point of not treating it like one. He gets the maximum sentence and will probably never walk the streets a free man again. I seriously don't see how you can have such a problem with that.

• Members

hey, why don't we just ripp his dick off and pour hot sauce in his butt every morning. {censored} it, lets just go back to the stone age, eye for eye.

This isn't about revenge you ninnies. My brain can't comprend 21 years then we give it a revaluation, I want it to say 300 years, I can't think beyond the face value of 21 derp derp derp derp

• Members

Prisoners have rights, but the public have the right to be protected from mass murderers indefinitely.

...which is what they will get. As the Guardian said:

Breivik is almost certain to end his life in prison.
Although Norway has a maximum prison sentence of 21 years, Breivik could be sentenced to preventive detention, which can be extended for as long as an inmate is considered dangerous to society.
The verdict of the most high-profile criminal trial in Norway since Nazi collaborators were prosecuted following the second world war is certain to provoke a strong response. Most Norwegians, including the victims' families, had wanted Breivik to be found sane so he could be held accountable for what they view as a political crime.

No court would ever find Breivik to be safe for society.

• Members

Norway is a highly civilised country with a very low homicide rate and they simply don't do the over-reaction or hysteria that would be generated if something like that happened in the UK or USA for example. It's entirely possible he will be walking the streets in 21 years time - I don't think he should but there it is.

Absolutely. This quote from a Time magazine article says it all for me:

The national media's portrayal of crime also helps foster tolerance for Norway's prison system. Newspapers rely on subscriptions rather than newsstand sales, so they don't depend on sensational headlines. And the writing style is less emotional, more pragmatic, than in other countries. In his book When Children Kill Children: Penal Populism and Political Culture, American criminologist David Green compares the British media's reaction to a murder case in which children tortured and killed a child with a similar case in Norway. The British newspapers, he writes, portrayed the murder as "alarmingly symptomatic of deep-seated moral decline in Britain." The Norwegian papers, however, presented their case as "a tragic one-off, requiring expert intervention to facilitate the speedy reintegration of the boys responsible." In Norway, acts of extreme violence are seen as aberrant events, not symptoms of national decay.

• Members

The sentence isn't regular prison. In English you'd say that the purp is "stashed away for safe keeping". At the end of the sentence there's a review, and if the prisoner is still considered a danger to society he or she may be kept behind bars indefinitely (with periodic reviews). I do however personally consider it a waste of resources for society to keep this individual alive, but that's a different matter.

• Members

You guys are being really unfair. After 21 years locked away he'll have learned his lesson. That's a long time to be out of society, and a long time to sit and think about what he did wrong. Hopefully he will do the right thing and get his degree in Counselling before he gets out so he can work with troubled children and drug addicts and help them make the right choices in life.

• Members

So, if I go out and commit an exceptional crime, I can expect a less than proportionate punishment? And it's not the legal system's fault that they didn't have any legislation in place?

I bet you hate "innocent until proven guilty" too. They're following an established protocol for a fair trial and sentencing. In 21 years, it is almost an absolute certainty that he will have additional time tacked on considering he's a {censored}ing nutjob, as has been explained, but they cannot declare that now.

• Members

No court would ever find Breivik to be safe for society.

In court he apologised to other far-right extremists for not killing more people. As long as he keeps agreeing with that sentiment no authority will judge him safe for release, and I don't imagine he'll denounce his statements.

• Members

I bet you hate "innocent until proven guilty" too. They're following an established protocol for a fair trial and sentencing. In 21 years, it is almost an absolute certainty that he will have additional time tacked on considering he's a {censored}ing nutjob, as has been explained, but they cannot declare that now.

I'm more of a 'no smoke without fire' kinda guy. I've created some kind of feedback loop in this thread so I'm out.

• Members

You guys are being really unfair. After 21 years locked away he'll have learned his lesson. That's a long time to be out of society, and a long time to sit and think about what he did wrong. Hopefully he will do the right thing and get his degree in Counselling before he gets out so he can work with troubled children and drug addicts and help them make the right choices in life.

Oh somebody can't read again. 21 years then he goes free? Is that what is going to happen? derp derp derp derp...

go shoot your guns John Wayne, have fun in your black and white good and bad.

• Members

Oh somebody can't read again. 21 years then he goes free? Is that what is going to happen? derp derp derp derp...

go shoot your guns John Wayne, have fun in your black and white good and bad.

You are right, I can't read. =)

Archived