Guys - Talk me into getting an old VW - Bug or Karmann Ghia

dZjupp

• Members

well, you don't see much of them over here, when I first saw these (there were 2 for sale), I thought it was US imported

and they were, although it was not offered officially in the USA back in the day. Many still made their way to the USA and the USA has the largest number of known Type 34s left in the world (400 of the total 1,500 to 2,000 or so remaining

i can tell you one thing, they look totally bad ass

• Members

MGB GT is a cool car, and if you know how to work on MGBs, than that would make more sense

I always liked the Triumph GT6, but after my Spitfire experience (used on a daily basis, it was really high maintenance), I stayed away from 70s Triumphs

1973_Triumph_GT6_MkIII_000.jpg

i have always had an interest in GT6's, the problem is, everyone i have seen in my area (like a quad state area) have been in EXTREMELY rough shape.

• Members

There are a number of very interesting engine transplant options with the Karmann, not all of them are perilously expensive either. How big a project are you willing to take on?

what are the options?

i know if i did another mgb, i'd put a FI 4.3 v6 in it.

• Members

I had a ghia for about 7 years as my "fun" weekend driver. They are temperamental as hell in the winter. They are hard to get started and warmed up enough that they won't conk out on you at the first stop light or stop sign you come up to. You will also bake in the summertime. They are also rotten for driving in rainy weather or weather where your windshield may fog up. I ended up not being able to drive it most weeks out of the year.

As others have also said, they aren't the best handlers on the highway. I would never get one as a daily driver.

• Members

I had a ghia for about 7 years as my "fun" weekend driver. They are temperamental as hell in the winter. They are hard to get started and warmed up enough that they won't conk out on you at the first stop light or stop sign you come up to. You will also bake in the summertime. They are also rotten for driving in rainy weather or weather where your windshield may fog up. I ended up not being able to drive it most weeks out of the year.

As others have also said, they aren't the best handlers on the highway. I would never get one as a daily driver.

i'm starting to see the cool factor drop on the Ghias

thanks for the reply!

• Members

When I was a kid and my Dad was in Uni, he had a friend with a Kharmann Ghia. I can only remember him saying one thing: "We'll take my car, if it doesn't rain."

Archived