9v batt HOT!

tedmich

• Members

I am NOT a pedal guy, I usually make due plugging straight into a hot rodded PV ULTRA with an Alesis Picoverb in the FX loop, but today I decided to try my only boost /dist pedal, an AMT Fatal Tube made in West Siberia. I popped in a fresh no-name alkaline 9v in, a "PowerZone" from my local Hdwr store. Pedal did nothing, no difference in sound "in" or "out" also no LED indicator. Felt battery and it was hot as a hell, probably 50C, and although it was making 8.6VDC on my meter once removed, it stayed hot and doesn't function in my pedal.

Anyone ever had a batt fail like this?

:badump:

If the battery got that hot, that fast, it had to be shorting somewhere. Something may have failed completely and fried through - you may have an "open" somewhere in the circuit now too. I can't guarantee it's not just a failure of a cheap battery, but if you have similar results with a name brand battery, you definitely have issues with the pedal.

Did you happen to smell anything burning at the time it happened? Have you tried a different battery, or a power adapter?

• Members

sounds like it's being shorted, if the pedal does nothing.

do you have a multimeter? if so, remove the battery and measure the resistance between the two battery leads. or better do a continuity test if you have it and know how. but just resistance will be fine if you can't.

if you pulled it out of the box and it works, it's probably being shorted against the aluminum. could be anywhere on the pcb.

Archived