Easy? Polarity Reversal Question...and positive grounding...

CoolDrum3

• Members

I am building an multi-effect pedal that contains both + and - boosts (Rangemaster based and LPB-1 based) and a Red Llama clone. I want to power with a single 9V. However, I'm unaware of how to reverse the polarity to power the Rangemaster. Also, how would I hook the Rangemaster + ground up to the ground of the rest of the box? Do I need to run an entirely seperate ground? Before it's suggested, no I don't want to rework the Rangemaster to run NPN, I already have NOS Mullards!

• Members

I am building an multi-effect pedal that contains both + and - boosts (Rangemaster based and LPB-1 based) and a Red Llama clone. I want to power with a single 9V. However, I'm unaware of how to reverse the polarity to power the Rangemaster. Also, how would I hook the Rangemaster + ground up to the ground of the rest of the box? Do I need to run an entirely seperate ground? Before it's suggested, no I don't want to rework the Rangemaster to run NPN, I already have NOS Mullards!

You can't just reverse the polarity. You've got 9 volts coming in. One side or the other is usually connected to ground. If you ground the positive side then you've got -9V to power the Rangemaster. If you ground the negative side then you've got +9V to power the LPB1. You can't get both without some extra circuitry.

Maxim makes some inverting regulators that will provide a negative voltage out with a positive voltage in. The MAX759 would probably do what you want. It's basically a little switching power supply on a chip. It would need a few additional components, like a couple of zener diodes, some caps, and a filter coil.

• Members

Well, you could go the zvex route and wire the PNP "upside down" so its positive side isn't connected to ground but is connected to +9v instead. That's how the fuzz factory is done with a mixture of NPN and PNP. You also do this in a differential amplifier octave generator. Might be a little bit noisier but it's doable.

http://solgrind.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/zvex-fuzzfactory-rev1-1.gif

eg

Archived