Boss SD-1 alternative with asymetrical clipping

symeboy

• Members

A while ago I tried tonnes of overdrives and always came back to the Boss SD-1, I use it to boost a high gain modified JCM 800 into metal territory and love it.

Mostly for fun I'd like to try some similar overdrives, have to be asymetrical clipping and high gain for lots of percussive attack; ideally I'd like a touch more gain without the trebley grit of the Sd-1.

I was thinking of checking out the Boss BD-2?

Ive tried the MXR Zakk Wylde one, but didnt like it as much as the SD-1.

Thanks in advance :-)

• Members

Thanks, that fulltone is way too big for my pedal board! and Ive tried loads of mods on the SD-1, I guess the stock settings are there for a reason! I've never tried using a boost in conjunction with an OD. Would you use it out front before the OD?

Thanks dudes :-)

• Members

try it both ways.

I've become a big fan of the SD-1 lately. I have an OD820 as well which is a tubescreamer running at 18v (SD-1 is basically a tubescreamer with asymmetrical clipping). The OD820 is quieter, fatter and smoother than the SD-1, but it's soooooo close.

Have you tried turning the LEVEL all the way up and bring the drive up slowly from zero?

• Members

yeah I spent alot of my summer of 2010 messing about with SD-1s and modifying them, I had three at one point but still preferred the stock settings...

I actually noticed a difference between the recent ones and the old ones, the old ones seem to have more of a mid-boost and less gain, but not a big difference.

• Members

yeah I spent alot of my summer of 2010 messing about with SD-1s and modifying them, I had three at one point
but still preferred the stock settings...

This is why I just found a second, used SD-1 to try out some mods. More than a few people have said they prefer the SD-1 stock.

• Members

Yes, Ive tried all the tubescreamers at some point or other, for what its worth I think the Maxon OD808 is the absolute tits, probably always keep it for recording.

But alas, I am looking for pedals with asymetrical clipping, I love the percussive sound they produce with the Marshall. Maybe the SD-1 is the perfect marriage now Ive had it so long, but its always fun to try something a bit more unique :-)

Archived