How much would you pay for a decent new piano?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

is that one of the rather rare super-sweet Yamaha uprights with the sostenuto pedal????

No, I'd guess you're thinking of the U5. This is the U3. I've never actually seen or played a U5. The Yamaha website says "This product is discontinued in the United States and may not be available at all dealer locations."

• Members

Wow! So you bought one?

Yes, sir! You saved me a lot of time and trouble. Given your earlier post, I had a head start in my research, and sure enough - it's a very well loved piano in all the forum posts I could find. I did play several at the store (huuuuuge store!), including a very old U3, but the new one was just so... mmmm... yummy! It'll be here Friday.

• Members

I did play several at the store (huuuuuge store!), including a very old U3, but the new one was just so... mmmm... yummy! It'll be here Friday.

This is how I wound up with my Weinbach. Never heard of them before, but I played nearly every piano in the store, including Yammies, but this one spoke to me. It said, "play me like you love me", so I bought it. :thu:

• Members

Wow, congratulations, man. That's a nice piano.

You know that you can't just box it up and send it back to Musicians Fiend when you get the itch again, don't ya? :poke:

Thanks! And yes, that's kind of the point. I'm breaking the cycle. I'm going to have a piano, and that's it. Nothing to upgrade, nothing to trade. And I have the names of several teachers. Gonna do it right.

• Members

Thanks! And yes, that's kind of the point. I'm breaking the cycle. I'm going to have a piano, and that's it. Nothing to upgrade, nothing to trade. And I have the names of several teachers. Gonna do it right.

So... wait. No electronical devices at all? Of any kind? You're selling the WHOLE KIT?

Pfff... you'll be back. :wave:

• Members

Yes, sir! You saved me a
lot
of time and trouble. Given your earlier post, I had a head start in my research, and sure enough - it's a very well loved piano in all the forum posts I could find. I did play several at the store (huuuuuge store!), including a very old U3, but the new one was just so... mmmm... yummy!

Well, it's an AWESOME piano. And like I said, I shopped for pianos for many months, dragging my wife to countless stores to try countless pianos before choosing the U3. There are lots of really nice European-made uprights (Forster, Bechstein, Petrof, Schimmel, etc.) but they're damned expensive. And a comparable Steinway is way over $20K new. Yamaha makes a fantastic, quality piano at a reasonable price. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

P.S. - Some people find the high end on Yamahas to be a bit too bright for their tastes. This is especially true for some classical players. If you find that to be the case, a piano technician can easily ratchet that down by softening the hammers in the upper couple of octaves.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Here's my situation right now: the woman across the street has a nice old Heinzman that she's wanting to unload for a good price. I have a (nice but not as nice) old Gerhardt-Heinzman. If I could sell my piano, I could upgrade for a very modest cost. If I can't sell it, of course, I'm stuck; two pianos in one house = one spouse missing from house.

But nobody wants to buy a used piano these days.

Archived