How much would you pay for a decent new piano?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
something that wasn't as fragile, wouldn't require constant upgrades / replacements, etc.

Chip the lacquer and you'll see it forever, and tuning every 6 months.

Are you sure? :D

Seriously though, I think it's cool. Because of funding and available room I had to settle for the FP7, but I'm happy enough already that I can "settle" for that.

• Members

Tuning has a lot to do with humidity of the room the piano is in. It is a really sensitive thing. If your room has too much humidity, the wood will get swollen and the tone will gradually become more {censored}ed up and beyond repair. If the room has very little or no humidity (as in the case when your house has a central heating system, with radiators etc.), there's a little trick (at least I do it with my upright) - open up the bottom panel (where the pedals are) and put a big glass of water (around 0.5 liter) inside! The piano will take as much humidity as it needs, and this will prevent drying out the wood. Of course, you would need to fill the water up every 3-4 weeks or so. I have noticed that this makes piano stay in tune longer - up to a year!

• Members

Tuning has a lot to do with humidity of the room the piano is in. It is a really sensitive thing. If your room has too much humidity, the wood will get swollen and the tone will gradually become more {censored}ed up and beyond repair.

The piano I inherited (whee) came with a heater that turns on when the humidity is too high. Helps maintain the tuning, provided that it works (of course when I got the piano, the rheostat was long shot -- had to replace that).

• Members

There's something for DLP to keep in mind though.

You were never happy with a regular Fender Strat or Ibanez that you started out with. You had to have the custom boutique shop version of it, that costs at least 3x as much, but it was the best Strat you could get.

You had an M3 and it was good. Then you saw the XS and saw that it was better, and you had to get two of them. But then the PC3x was even better and you had to get that instead, because once you know what's best, that's what you want.

The point I'm trying to make is, you'll start with a U3 and it will only be good enough until you play a C3, which is a much better piano. But then after that you'll play a Yamaha CF, or maybe a Steinway, or perhaps a Fazoli, or at least a Bechstein or Estonia, and you'll want that. And you'll sell your wife's jewelry, steal your children's college fund and the local bank.

Just sayin'. This piano thing can get expensive.

So if you're going piano, might as well just start with something like this. Best bang for the buck in concert grand pianos. And Estonias keep getting better every year.

• Members

Although piano maintenance can get expensive, it isn't required ALL that often for the home piano user.

Sure, conservatories and recital halls have their $100K concert grands meticulously serviced, but that's not a realistic expectation of the average pianist.

Tunings should happen 2x a year, TOPS. Pay for a humidifier to be installed...it's a good investment.

Seriously, pianos are pretty 'set and forget'. They're much less fragile than synths. If you have the room, go with the grand from the beginning. You don't need a 7' piano; a 6' will do.

I've been tempted to get an upright, but instead I've decided to hold out until I have the space and the funds for a grand. Buying a piano is not like buying a synth.

They're much harder to return :idea:

• Members

I am nicely set up electronically, but when I really just want to play, I sit down at my upright. No tweaking, no electricity, no latency; just music.

You can get a nice used piano for 'way less than an equivalent new one; people who no longer want their piano really really want it out of the house. Watch kijiji or craigslist and bide your time. And budget for professional piano movers.

Tuning will depend on the instrument (how good the pin block is, mostly I suppose) and where it is in your house--inside wall is best. My tuner recommends (for my piano) a yearly tuning either just after the furnace starts in the fall or just after it stops in the spring. That's worked pretty well for me, though I'm a bit anxious for my next tuning because he's agreed to tune it well-tempered.

If I had to choose between an good upright (or a grand, in my dreams) and all the electronic keys in the world I'd still choose the upright. If only because you can play it while civilization falls apart and the power goes down.

• Members

As much as I love my Elektrons, Nord Lead etc my preferred instrument in the house is my Yamaha U3.

I have read a lot about them and it seems that in Japan a lot of kids get a Yamaha Uxxx from their grand parents in the hope they will become the new Rachmaninov... thus a lot these 'used' pianos are exported to Europe, GB and USA. Bought mine when it was 10 years old for 4250 eur - sounded perfect - well actually better than the new ones (costing almost double !) I tried. When trying out, all you have to do is to write down the serial number and you can check the manufacture date on the web.

Considering Japan is a humid climate it'll take one or two years before an imported piano will be 'at home' in your place (don't know where you live but humidity factor is rather important - in winter time I have a Venta Humidity air cleaner that consumes 6-8 liters during cold winter days - but humidity in the living room is kept at around 50% - ideally you should maintain it at 65% all time but in reality you'll be looking at variations between 50 and 70%).
Always keep out direct sunlight. Mine's been in my home for almost 7 years now and it's been tuned 2 times completely and couple of notes readjusted last summer (didn't even have to pay my tuner - he considers tuning a couple of notes as some sort of warranty - nice guy).

I highly recommend buying a good upright. :wave:

Oh almost forgot - they sound much better with lid open (not fully but lid standing up so that sound is projected straight to your ears) or with lid open and front panel removed. Boxiness gone.

• Members

Oh almost forgot - they sound much better with lid open (not fully but lid standing up so that sound is projected straight to your ears) or with lid open and front panel removed. Boxiness gone.

Oh f**k yes. My Burger&Jacoby 100-year-old gramps sounds just like a world-class concert grand piano when the front panel is removed and upper lid opened. Unbelievable in-your-face expression.

• Members

Alright, so just out of morbid curiosity: Why dump the A6 over, say, the Kurz or the MPC?

edit: oh wait: are you really thinking of dumping everything??

Thinking. Merely thinking. Just going to have a look. I wouldn't have even posted, but you lot seem to sort of vaguely enjoy it when I have a bit of unexpected turbulence.

Archived