A little Solaris update...

carbon111

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

money in hand but need mo betta demo

I should be getting some time soon with one of the pre-production units to do some proper audio demos. KSS will be my first stop once I have something substantial to show.

I can do lossless audio via FLAC and OGG now so I won't have to rely on crappy youtube videos or MP3s. :thu:

• Members
I should be getting some time soon with one of the pre-production units to do some proper audio demos. KSS will be my first stop once I have something substantial to show.

I can do lossless audio via FLAC and OGG now so I won't have to rely on crappy youtube videos or MP3s.
:thu:

I'm looking forward to hearing your demos! From the little bit I've heard on John's website for this synth, it sounds like it could really be amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Beautiful demo by Red Martian! :thu:

I've been keeping my lips zipped about the inclusion of the Waldorf wavetables but now that there's official permission, the cat is out of the bag. :love:

...plus it will be relatively easy to build your own wavetables. :D

• Members
Compressed files over the internet are no way to judge. I'll do some Flac demos when I get some time with it.
:)

its not even the audio, really. Its the cost + vapor factor. I mean, its real now...but I just dont think any hardware va synths are worth that kind of money. Not my money anyway.

• Members
:freak:

Well, for what it's worth, Its not really a VA. The architecture is way more comprehensive than that.

...And it was never vapor...there was never a point when John and his designers ever stopped working on it - also, he was fully funded from the begining so there was never a chance it wouldn't come out.

• Members

The last demo was beautiful. Nothing that couldn't have been accomplished with a DX7 and a simple analogue monophonic synth (plus some basic outboard effects), though.

I can see the power of this synth in performance conrols - the joystick, ribbon, knobs and great keyboard. If it proves to be the next CS80 in terms of playability and responsiveness then the synth will be worth the price. I only hope John Bowen doesn't share Dave Smith's sense of humour regarding the latest encoders.

• Members

Seems to me that assuming this has as deep and interesting synthesis engine as it appears (I'm willing to go with this, because I will never own one), people will buy it for the extreme immediacy of its interface. It's certainly not a synth for everyone. In many ways, it's refreshing to see an instrument that's not even vaguely interested in the hobbyist market's call for stripped-down economy devices.

• Members
The last demo was beautiful. Nothing that couldn't have been accomplished with a DX7 and a simple analogue monophonic synth (plus some basic outboard effects), though.

My demos tend to be less minimal than Red Martian's so just wait. :D

Remember, there is a huge amount of capability there: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32491280&postcount=8

When I was programming it at NAMM, I was getting huge, moving, morphing timbres I wouldn't mistake as coming from any other synth...I am dieing to get my hands on the Solaris again. :thu: Soon, I'll have one of my own. :love:

• Members

Seems to me that assuming this has as deep and interesting synthesis engine as it appears (I'm willing to go with this, because I will never own one), people will buy it for the extreme immediacy of its interface. It's certainly not a synth for everyone. In many ways, it's refreshing to see an instrument that's not even vaguely interested in the hobbyist market's call for stripped-down economy devices.

I second this motion. Even though I applaud what appears to be an excellent synth, I don't think I'll be seeing one in my stable any time soon. For that amount of coin, I'd really need to have a hands-on demo to decide if it would be worth divesting myself of some gear for it to replace.

• Members
My demos tend to be less minimal than Red Martian's so just wait.
:D

Remember, there is a huge amount of capability there:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32491280&postcount=8

When I was programming it at NAMM, I was getting huge, moving, morphing timbres I wouldn't mistake as coming from any other synth...I am dieing to get my hands on the Solaris again.
:thu:
Soon, I'll have one of my own.
:love:

Looking forward to them! And I'd like to hear more Serge Animal/Creature demos while you're at it. ;)

• Members

So, the Solaris is:

1. OB oscillators+

2. Minimoog oscillators (Creamware ABS-12) +

3. Prophet (Creamware ABS Pro 12)+

4. Wavestation+

5. Waldorf Wavetables (PPG Wave)

Is this correct?

Plus:

6. Multi-Saw (with modulatable spread)

7. Rotors

8. Sample playback

9. Noise

10. "pitched noise" (noise that will track the keyboard)

Archived