A little Solaris update...

carbon111

• Members

What is the difference algorithmically in the Solaris between this (noise tracking with keyboard) and passing white noise through a band pass filter with key tracking on the resonant frequency? One way to generate band limited (wide sense stationary Gaussian) noise is to generate a random FFT by taking a deviate from a (zero mean) Gaussian distribution with standard deviation equal to the magnitude of the power spectrum for each frequency frequency bin (FFT point), enforce that the FFT be Hermitian so that the inverse FFT is real, and then inverse FFT. I do this all the time in 2D for generating realizations of random surfaces with various properties (for optical modeling). I am curious if this is the algorithm used in the Solaris. Is the advantage that the pitched noise is generated by some dedicated DSP unit so you don't have to use a filter slot to generate pitched noise?

If it's pitched digital noise, (and I could be wrong here,) but it's done with a sort of shift register thing. A random source is sampled, and each sample is moved into a slot, then moved down the line. Or something to that effect. There is some good information on pitched digital noise on the Wiard site I believe. Anyway, the effect comes out sounding like a C64, Atari 2600, etc. Being my favorite flavor of noise, you'd think I'd know for sure, but this is just off the top-o-the-head. I'm not sure if this is how the SH does it or not. In my opinion digital noise is a bit more interesting to listen to as it changes with pitch, number of bits, etc. White noise through a filter is uniform across the range. Now I have to go refresh my memory on how digital noise is made. :D

Here's an example of pitched digital noise from my Modcan VCDO in noise mode: http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/227-GameIsh.mp3

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...and that's just the oscillators.
:eek:

:D:love:

I wonder why the feature "OFF" appears in the "Wave" part of the screen instead of the "Type" - I assume this is to avoid the minimal delay in loading models?

edit: I'd also like to know if there's a slop/analog drift parameter somewhere :).

• Members

I wonder why the feature "OFF" appears in the "Wave" part of the screen?

That simply turns that particular oscillator off, freeing up DSP resources. IIRC this is what the oscillator mute switches on the front panel toggle.

I'd also like to know if there's a slop/analog drift parameter somewhere
:)

Not that I know of but I honestly don't think it needs it. Listen to this on some good speakers: http://redmartian.com/solaris/SOLARIS-DEMO-FOUR.mp3

...or slightly better fidelity: http://redmartian.com/solaris/SOLARIS-DEMO-FOUR.m4a

In person, it's even better sounding. ;)

If you still want some slop, you can always route a tiny bit of smooth random modulation to pitch via one of the five LFOs... :idea:

• Members

The oscillators sound really cool.

James, you gotta let John know that there are really bad sounding percussive P's and other consonant or breathing sounds on that video when he speaks. It was difficult for to listen to the video; the sounds bothered my ears. Maybe a remix with some compression on the voice track or something?

• Members

In the current climate this seems like an unusually ambitious project! This seems like the only very high quality keyboard synthesisers made at the moment...

Is anybody concerned about the ability of the market to support such a high spec and expensive instrument?

• Members

In the current climate this seems like an unusually ambitious project! This seems like the only very high quality keyboard synthesisers made at the moment...

Things weren't like this a couple years ago when John started the project. ;)

Is anybody concerned about the ability of the market to support such a high spec and expensive instrument?

Yes. But at the same time, there isn't anything else like this out there so, despite the small market, there's really no comparable competition. I think the Solaris will do fine - though it may be slow going at first.

That said, it would be nice if the economy would pick up a bit... :facepalm:

• Members

Sounds cool and everything "But" still too overpriced...especially nowadays, If a product like wants to get off the ground they need to revise the price for sure... with this economy I doubt everyone could afford a $3599 synthesizer ...

• Members

Sounds cool and everything "But" still too overpriced...especially nowadays, If a product like wants to get off the ground they need to revise the price for sure... with this economy I doubt everyone could afford a $3599 synthesizer ...

i paid that for a new z1 years back

old analog polys go for more

a6 was about that price i think

q+ is that or more

virus keys not sure

so its ball park for a topline:wave:

Archived