Is the Pedaltrain Jr. soft case Air Plane Carry-on size?

Amigo

• Members

Should be... assuming you are in the states, most airlines grant you one carry-on (roller, backpack, duffel, etc) that can go in the overhead and one "personal bag" (briefcase, laptop bag, purse, etc) that will fit under the seat. The PT Jr in a softcase should classify as your "personal bag", it is really no bigger than a briefcase (and smaller than a lot of purses I have seen people fly with).

• Members

The pt1 in a hard case is carry on size, so i would imagine so. I've done a fair bit of flying either carrying pedals myself or with a band where others had pedal boards as carry on and in my experience, they often want you to open it so they can see them, but i've never seen them try to do anything more, like take pedals out or take anything apart.

Man I hate checked baggage. I travel as light as I can, and carry everything with me. Laptop and a small suitcase. If I HAVE to check bags, the guitar goes in the overhead bin, the laptop under the seat. The PT Jr. will work fine as an under the seat "personal bag", and I've yet to have a airline tell me I couldn't take a Strat sized HSC onboard as a carry-on - they fit in the overhead bins, but better to try to get it into one of the vertical baggage storage bins if your aircraft has them, simply because it's easier to get out without conking someone in the head.

• Members

OK so tell me about this. I'm going to see goodhonk in October and was thinking of taking some pedals and maybe my guitar but I'm afraid of having to check it. I'm flying on Southwest so tell my your experiences.

This is my experience. A pt-1 in a hard case fits in the overhead compartment. No {censored}ing problem there ever. Take it as your carry on. Also, many airlines, though they won't really tell you this, allow golf clubs and musical instruments as an additional carry on bag. They'll usually put them in a special little closet at the front of the plane for you. I've flown both domestically and internationally with a guitar several times and have always been able to bring it on board with me. Best to check in early so you get a better chance of getting the special closet space, but you should be fine anyway. Just act like you know what you're doing and bring the guitar as extra on board. Most of the time they'll just submit and accomodate you. At worst, they may make you gate check it but won't charge you for an extra bag. Just keep it in a good hard case in case they make you check it, but you should be able to bring it and a pedal board and a personal bag with your books and snacks and {censored} in it. If they give you trouble, just bust out your "knowledge" of the special exceptions for instruments and golf clubs. You'll see a far off look come over them where they're trying to remember details of their job training lectures and manuals from the distant past. They won't be sure, but if you are, they'll follow your lead. You'll win if you stick to your guns. If there's room they'll take it. If not, they'll check it for free, especially if you make sure they know how troubled you are about checking it. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had no problems with the pt jr. as a carry on. I took that and a guitar in a soft case.

Phil, I've tried to take a hard shell guitar case on board and have been shut down before. It's really hit or miss with guitars I find, sometimes airlines are awesome sometimes they suck. Best bet is to take on a soft shell case I have found. I had about 6 flights with the pedal train jr. everyone considered it a "laptop case" so technically, if you have a man-purse, you can take on a guitar, pedal board and personal bag on pretty well every airline.

Archived