Looper/delay dilemma!

Shawbrook

• Members

There is something worse than GAS. UGAS: Unfocused Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

My current delay and looper situation is as follows: I have a Boss DD-20 for main delays and a DD-7 as a second delay pedal, which I practically only use for looping.

A few days ago I came up with the idea of selling my DD-7 and replacing it with an analog delay (Malekko Ekko) and a dedicated looper. My requirements for the looper: easy to use on-the-fly, some effects like reverse and especially start/stop stuff would be cool. I'll be using it pretty much only for ambient and post-rock style looping. Preferably not more than 200 euros - secondhand is fine.

So I went looking for loopers, UGASsing. Of course, the most awesome looper is the most expensive too: the Boomerang III. I would love to have it but I can't afford it.
Then there's the Boss loopers and the Digitech Jamman Stereo. I can get the Digitech for relatively cheap on the Dutch local ebay (180 euros, not bad). Although it's functionalities are nice, I won't really need all of them to justify buying it. Multiple loop tracks would be nice, but the Digitech can't do this (making it not much better (for my needs) than the Hold function on my DD-7). The Boss RC-30 can do this but I can't find a cheap one second-hand - 300 euros new is too much. Also I don't really the need the functionality of rhythm tracks, saving my loops etc.

But then, out of nowhere: the Line6 DL4! It's not a dedicated looper alright, but it has some cool functions for sure (one thing that's not clear to me - is it possible to stop the loop with the switch and then later turn it on again?). Also I can get one for pretty cheap. Also I wouldn't have to buy the Malekko, if the DL4's modulation and analog sims are any good (if not, that's okay, I can still buy the Malekko or another analog delay later). Also having both a DD-20 and a DL4 seems to me like having pretty much endless delay possibilities!

To sum it up: would the DL4 indeed give me both a cool delay, a good looper for my needs and save me money? biggrin.gif

P.S.: While writing this post, my UGAS has transformed into GAS for the DL4. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shawbrook View Post
But then, out of nowhere: the Line6 DL4! It's not a dedicated looper alright, but it has some cool functions for sure (one thing that's not clear to me - is it possible to stop the loop with the switch and then later turn it on again?). To sum it up: would the DL4 indeed give me both a cool delay, a good looper for my needs and save me money?
It's a really cool looper with start/stop loop, reverse, 1/2 speed, 14 second loop time in regular mode, 28 seconds at 1/2 speed. Also the modulation and analog sims are solid.

How much loop time do you need?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ToonHollow View Post
It's a really cool looper with start/stop loop, reverse, 1/2 speed, 14 second loop time in regular mode, 28 seconds at 1/2 speed. Also the modulation and analog sims are solid.

How much loop time do you need?
Hmm. My DD-7 has 40 seconds. I usually loop just simple chord progressions. Maybe I should find out how many seconds I usually use next time I play.

EDIT: You can start in half time mode right away, right? If so, I think 28 seconds is enough.

• Members
Elaborate!

Also, what about my question - is it possible to stop the loop with the switch and then later turn it on again?
Yes. The smmw/h can record a loop, then you can shut it off, and restart the loop when you turn it on. It can do
the slower speed or faster speed. It can do reverse. You can slowly fade out loops as you add new ones on top. You can use the delays and loop at the same time. It has a momentary reverse delay function. It has these mulit tap delays which are really different, and not something you see often. Stereo looping, ping pong stereo delay... Reverb and delay... Oh and it does this weird flanger sound

• Members

Alright, I'm in doubt. The EHX seems pretty cool too.

So the modulation/analog sims are pretty good on this one too? And I've read some negative things about the loop function on it (nothing concrete yet though, I'm watching the PGS demo now).

• Members
Hmm. My DD-7 has 40 seconds. I usually loop just simple chord progressions. Maybe I should find out how many seconds I usually use next time I play.

EDIT: You can start in half time mode right away, right? If so, I think 28 seconds is enough.
Probably, though I have no direct experience of this. I sold my DL-4 a long time ago and got a Headrush E2 because it's a lot simpler.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ToonHollow View Post
Probably, though I have no direct experience of this. I sold my DL-4 a long time ago and got a Headrush E2 because it's a lot simpler.
I've considered the Headrush but it's a bit too simple for me.

So if between the Memory Man and the DL4 it's between what kind of crazy sounds I want and how many loop seconds. Also I can't find a Memory Man secondhand. I'll think about it some more, thanks for the suggestions.

• Members

Another DL-4 vote. Sounds like it can do most of what you're asking. I also got an RC-2, I figured I 'needed' a dedicated looper to go with the DL-4. The aux input and the ability to store a bunch of loops have come in handy, but I still mostly just use the DL-4. Turns out I'm not a huge sample/loop user though, which is where we're different I guess.

Another option I haven't seen mensioned: Hardwire DL8. Maybe a little too bare bones for what you're after?

• Members

I used to own a Digitech Jamman, still own a Boss RC-2, the pedal I use for looping is the Boss DD-7. I find the DD-7 so much easier to use that I ditched the Jamman and I never use the RC-2 anymore. I have a FS-5U footswitch hooked up to it to kill the loop, for the simple looping I do live, the DD-7 {censored}s all over the other two for ease of use.
if I was to get a more complex looper I'd go straight to the new Boss RC-300 or whatever it's called.

Archived