The Orange OR50.

six acre lake

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me View Post
SAL, what are the differences you like between the Traynor and HiWatt? Why do you pick the Traynor for the effects and the HiWatt clean?
Because the Hiwatt Custom 50 sounds AWESOME on its own and has just the perfect balance of little bit of break up to present cleans based on pick attack. The Hiwatt is just a responsive monster amp... Sure the Hiwatt plays well with pedals but why fuck with perfection?

The Traynor YBA-1A is 9o watts of pure clean tube muscle with flexible EQ. It has a huge stout tone and there is not a pedal I own that doesnt play super well with the Traynor. Sure the Traynor sounds good on its own but I like the sound of the effects hitting only one amp and causing a bit of separation. I also like pairing a clean amp with a slightly dirty amp and you dont get more clean then a YBA-1A.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me View Post
I have a YBA-1 (45 watts) that I love. How loud do you have to get with the HiWatt to get to that edge of breakup?
I considered and love the YBA-1 but went for the cleaner, meaner 1A for contrast reasons.

The Normal / Bright volume knobs function as a "gain" knobs. I run my EGC into the Normal channel and set the Normal volume to around 1 o'clock and then adjust the master volume to taste... usually at show volume thats about halfway at 12 o'clock.

• Members

Orange amps are all kind of awesome. Especially the OR50, at least as far as the new Orange stuff goes.

Used to have a vintage OR120. Been through a ton of differents amps, that Orange is still one of the best ones I owned. Sold it cause it was just unusable for me, way way way too loud.

Now that I have discovered that not all attenuators suck, I sorta regret I don't have that Orange anymore.

• Members

I dunno man. I had an AD140 that i hated so i traded it for a Rockerverb, which i love. I never really use the clean channel though. I had to some tube swaps to get it to sound great though. I decreased the gain with all of the preamp tubes. I want to try 6l6s in it eventually

I'm finishing up a demo that used my rockerverb exclusively through a jcm900 cab. I can post it in a few weeks. I hate the sound of them through orange cabs. I don't know why but i guess it has something to do with the mid scoop of the jcm900 speakers

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by c+t in b

View Post

I hate the sound of them through orange cabs. I don't know why but i guess it has something to do with the mid scoop of the jcm900 speakers

Orange cab -> V30's, Marshall cab -> G12T75's (probably), much warmer in comparison. That's why people pair them together. And yes, post clips! I'd like to hear.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by c+t in b View Post
I dunno man. I had an AD140 that i hated so i traded it for a Rockerverb, which i love. I never really use the clean channel though. I had to some tube swaps to get it to sound great though. I decreased the gain with all of the preamp tubes. I want to try 6l6s in it eventually

I'm finishing up a demo that used my rockerverb exclusively through a jcm900 cab. I can post it in a few weeks. I hate the sound of them through orange cabs. I don't know why but i guess it has something to do with the mid scoop of the jcm900 speakers
I had an AD-140. Sounded like a buzz saw through V-30s and I'd say even worse so through 75's. I thought it shined with G12H30's (but only if cranked). The rockerverb fairs a bit better through v-30's, being more modern and scooped sounding.

• Members

i want an ad140 so bad. but from literally EVERY person i have heard of who has had one, its too gnarly. maybe i want it for the same reason that girls like bad boy boyfriends, and i will try to change it, and it will end up abusing me and putting cigarette burns on my arm, and i will like it.

idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
i want an ad140 so bad. but from literally EVERY person i have heard of who has had one, its too gnarly. maybe i want it for the same reason that girls like bad boy boyfriends, and i will try to change it, and it will end up abusing me and putting cigarette burns on my arm, and i will like it.

idn_smilie.gif
AD140 sounds pretty cool in this video.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post

idn_smilie.gif
i wish i still had mine, but not really. since i dont play out any more, it's kind of pointless. it really only shines when past 5.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlux

View Post

I've found this to be true for nearly amp I've ever played. Especially Orange. You gotta crank em, before they'll give you the goods.

No, I understand, but some amps (especially this one) really sounds like a buzz bomb til you get them up on the dial. I'm almost positive thats why it is maligned so often.

• Members
there's a 40th anniversary OR50 for sale locally. I wonder how it differs from the current OR50
IIRC it was the OR50 Custom Shop model that was hand wired, limited 40 builds
there's about 400 of the anniversary OR50

I had an AD140 for a while.
not a bad sounding amp. better then the thunderverb & rockerverb imho.
I liked the clean channel for the dirt, and the dirty channel for my cleans :shrug:
I just prefer the OTR & OD that I've had to the AD140 so it went bye bye.

just take a look at the build of an AD140
CDGbA.jpg
vs OD120
sVuhc.jpg
At the +1000$ price range I don't want to own an amp with pcb mounted pots
PB mounted tubes
I want the amp to last for years, and I want my tech to have an easy time fixing it when it needs work. you'd be surprised how much investing in an amp with a good quality build can save you on bench fees later on.

one day I'll cross a vintage OR120 and see how my amps compare to those.

and of course all these amps sound better cranked, and with two 4X12 they deliver.
Even the 2X12 orange cabs don't totally do them justice.
Something that confuses me is why anyone would buy an open back orange cab, then again they now sell an OR15 :shrug:

Archived