How long did it get to you to become a good keyb player ?

Logicat

• Members

Anyway, although i know this is a pathetic way of thinking, i envy those of you who were lucky enough to figure out that playing is a very cool hobby, and who started, as a result, to play when young.

Discovering that you'd like to become skilled when you're (maybe) too old, can be seriously depressing
:cry:

Feel yourself lucky because I ENVY YOU ALL !!
:mad:

Logicat - I didn't start playing out until I was in my mid 40's. I always loved music, always fooled with piano and always tapped my hands - but before that never played in front of anyone.

The first time I got on any stage in my life was an open mic my friend invited me to (again mid 40's). I was never so scared in my entire life. I was fooling with guitar at the time and tried to play some stuff and I just sucked.

But after a few times I brought in my keyboard and played an original song - and to my surprise people thought it was okay.

I never, ever thought that I had any musical ability much less could play with other musicians. I would not be doing what I was today :thu: if my friend hadn't invited me to that open mic.

I could not ever sit through three years of any kind of lessons like you did - never. If that had been my intro to music I would have run screaming from the room.

It turns out that my fidgity hands had the right kind of rythym to do piano - the rest (theory, etc.) I picked up later.

I measure my progress by setting realistic goals and working toward them.

Am I a great piano player - nope - but I am having fun!

Seriously - it is never too late. Love of learning is what matters, being committed to doing what you set out to do, that's what's important.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hiromi Uehara as the great combination of asskicking technique and emotion in playing.

Evil, thanks for mentioning Hiromi. I've never heard of her before, after your comment I went around allmusic-ing and youtubing her...and, damn. That girl can play.

Some of her tracks seemed to noodle on way too long, as most prog-rockers or jazz fusion-ites tend to do (not a knock, I love both those styles of music, but it does tend to be two negatives of both genres)...but wow. Not only does she display blindingly fast proficient technical chops in certain parts of her songs...she really seems to be passionate and love playing with her band members, all of which she seems to have a great chemistry with. She should get together with that side project Buckethead and Claypool had going on a few years ago...god knows what kind of music they'd wind up producing.

From the 10 or so tracks I listened to by her, Green Tea Farm was probably my favorite, and most accessible. And...did I'm a sucker for any girl that has that punk-hair streaked colors look, and wears sexy little outfits while showing off their classical and jazz training? But, alas, Jane Monheit will not be replaced anytime soon for "musician I'd most like to get in the sack for the combo of her looks + music". But Hiromi definitely cracked the top 10. She should be proud.

• Members

Good is a relative term ...

The problem with getting "good" is that it's always getting better or, put another way, harder to attain ... i.e. the more you know, the less you know ... the problem isn't just theory, though, it's a physical challenge as well ... (right now I've been concentrating on improving my left hand since my right hand

• Members
This is a "sad" question, since the answers can be depressing
:rolleyes:

I have been studying with a piano teacher for almost 3 years (private lessons), then i stopped with him and started to "study" by myself, about 40 minutes per day, 5 days per week. I study by using the books i bought when i was studying with him, adapt to people from, say, the 3rd year of a music academy school.

My skill is FAR from a virtuous' one (Jordan rulez), not that i pretend to be one, but i was wondering which were your own studies and how long have you been practicing to get the skill level you have
:rolleyes:

Currently, i can't have private piano lessons, i have no time and my apartment rental fee is raising in an alarming way (
:facepalm:
). I can only study by myself. But will i improve in time ? How much time ?

Did you become a good player (not Jordan-like, but a pretty good one anyway) only by practicing by yourself for years, or, on your opinion, having private lessons from skilled people is mandatory ?

:cry:

Thank you, thank you very much!!!!:)

First, you have to ask yourself this question. What do I want to do?

Do you want to continue with the classical style of learning all of the technical aspects of the instrument and music theory in general? If the answer is yes, then you can continue to study on your own, but you will do better with a teacher.

Do you want to play popular music, either by yourself or in a band? If that is your goal, put away all of your sheet music and theory books, get out your MP3 or CD player, put on some of your favorite songs, and play along with them. You may have to do it 50 times per song initially before you get comfortable playing them without the accompaniment. You can write down the chords, but that's it. No using blank sheets to notate what you are playing in the treble and bass clef's. In other words, you need to "Feel" the music that you are playing, and that takes some people time to learn. You have already learned more than many pianists who make money playing know, from a technical music theory aspect. Listen to Elton John, Billy Joel, Billy Powell, Roy Bittan, and see how they seem to "Feel" what they are playing. It is a passion, but it can be learned.

I'm 56, I have been playing in a band since I was 14. I took Organ Lessons when I was 5 through 7. I can't read and play directly from sheet music and that is a skill that I wish I posessed. I learn something new all of the time, it is a never ending process. Am I good? I don't know, I have fun and get paid between $200.00 to $500.00 a gig. And I can listen to a song and pick it up pretty quickly.

It depends on what your goals are. And you mentioned the term "Keyboard Player", not "Piano Player". Do you want to play different keyboard instruments other than the piano? If you do, Synths and Organs are a whole other animal in terms of technique.

Good luck.

Rick

Archived