Recommend Me Some Amber: Scotch / Whiskey / Bourbon Content

six acre lake

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

This was the last scotch I had that blew me away.

oban_14.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumFalcon

View Post

Laphroaig Quarter Cask. My beverage of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu

View Post

glenmorangie.jpg

What I'm drinking these days. Smooth and gets the job done for under $80.

These are all fantastic choices at that price point. I'm also a big fan of

Tomatin%2012YO%20L(1).jpg

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of the really peaty scotches, so I tend to like most from the Campbeltown area. Very nicely refined, easy drinking whiskey with strong notes of sea spray.

23.png

If you're into Old Fashioneds, I'm currently really enjoying Rittenhouse Rye, which is not expensive and readily available.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mistersuperfly

View Post

Oh, and JW Blue is more hype and packaging than anything... It's good, but not hundreds better than black. Whoever mentioned Compass Box was right too, those are all great blends of single malts.

I was coming in here to suggest Compass Box too.

vatted_com18.jpg

vatted_com4.jpg

New Gold Label Reserve from JW is pretty good though. They really hit the nail on the head with the honeyed fruit.

blend_joh104.jpg

Now, to throw a different Whisky out there, I love Nikka From The Barrel

japan_nik10.jpg

• Members

Not to hijack but I'm new to bourbon and was hoping to get a suggestion. I've only ever had Maker's and Woodford Reserve and was looking to pick up a decent but not too pricey bottle for the holidays. What direction do you folks recommend? ~$50 is what I'd like to spend but can be flexible if it worth it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by reverberlayed

View Post

Not to hijack but I'm new to bourbon and was hoping to get a suggestion. I've only ever had Maker's and Woodford Reserve and was looking to pick up a decent but not too pricey bottle for the holidays. What direction do you folks recommend? ~$50 is what I'd like to spend but can be flexible if it worth it.

I love Bookers but it's usually around $60. Blanton's original is pretty good and can be found under $50. Maybe Mistasuperfly's got something that'll blow our minds idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

120068-lg_6.jpg

For real, I would pick this over Blanton's in a heartbeat (and I really like Blanton's) it's comparable to Pappy IMO

{censored}, I know you mentioned it in your last post and I even wrote it down. {censored}, I wanna buy this online and have it shipped to me. Time to hit my bottle shop I suppose.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by huggernaut

View Post

I've been on such a rye kick lately, totally forgot about the Black Maple, gotta track that down.

Black Maple Hill also makes a couple ryes apparently. An 18 year and a 23 year so now my wallet is really {censored}ed. Beck, you tried either one of the Black Maple Ryes?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by live-I-evil

View Post

I love Bookers but it's usually around $60. Blanton's original is pretty good and can be found under $50.

Do Booker's make a standard proof Bourbon? Because I wouldn't recommend Cask Strength to someone "starting out on Bourbon".

View Post

120068-lg_6.jpg

For real, I would pick this over Blanton's in a heartbeat (and I really like Blanton's) it's comparable to Pappy IMO

Oooh, {censored} looks cash! Nice!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NetStar

View Post

Do Booker's make a standard prood Bourbon? Because I wouldn't recommend Cask Strength to someone "starting out on Bourbon".

Not as far as I know. I started with the cask strength and I'm still here, but I see what you're sayin. Blanton's was also recommended right after that so idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by live-I-evil

View Post

Not as far as I know. I started with the cask strength and I'm still here, but I see what you're sayin. Blanton's was also recommended right after that so idn_smilie.gif

Hmm, i started out on the Maker's too and it really is super soft. I know that personally I wouldn't have wanted to leap up to a cash strength whiskey. Each to their own, though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by reverberlayed

View Post

EagleRare10.jpg

~$30, but tastes ~$50

Archived